Summary: How to continue on in a world of uncertainty.
7, April 2002
Dakota Community Church
ILL. Have you ever seen the TV program called "Early Edition.”?
The basic storyline centered on a young man who somehow was able to read tomorrow’s newspaper today.
- How would you use that knowledge?
- Would you use it to enrich yourself? If you knew that the stock market was going to go up, would you buy low & sell high?
- Would you use it to help those in need? If you knew that someone was going to be in trouble?
- Would you become a hero? If you knew someone was in danger & would die, would you be there to prevent that from happening?
- What would you do if you knew what was going to happen tomorrow?
Some people are obsessed with trying to learn the future.
They peer into crystal balls, read tealeaves, & horoscopes. But the truth of the matter is:
None of us really knows the future here upon this earth.
"Since no man knows the future, who can tell him what is to come?"
Well, there is an answer to his question - "God."
- You can’t have life without "if," & that simply reminds us of the uncertainty of life itself.
How DO we face the future? What can we do about it?
I. THREE THINGS THAT GOD SAYS "DON’T DO."
1. We are not to boast about tomorrow.
1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.
13Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that." 16As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.
Ill. Man selling cow.
A man is walking past the field of a farmer with a cow on a roap. The farmer says, "Hey mister, where ya goin with thet there cow?’
The man replies, "I’m takin it to town to sell it."
The farmer says, " You mean if it’s the Lords will you are."
The man says , "Well it’s my cow and I recon I can do anything I want with it and it ain’t any of the Lord’s business."
A short time later the farmer looks up and sees the man coming back the other way very bloody and beaten up.
"What happened to you?" the farmer asks.
"Oh just down the road three guys jumped out of the bushes, stole my cow, beat me up and left me for dead."
The famer says, "Oh no! What are you gonna do now."
"I’m going home to clean up." the man replies - "If it’s the Lords will."
- It’s not that we should not make plans or set goals.
- We are not to do it without God.
2. We are not to fear tomorrow.
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?