Summary: Failure is a part of life for successful people.
- Experts say you should drink eight glasses of water a day – I don’t always do that.
- Dentists say you should brush your teeth after every meal and floss every day. Don’t always do that.
- I’ve been told I should never allow the gas tank in my car to get below half full.
- You should make your bed every morning, dust once a week, and vacuum a couple times a week. I’ve struck out on that.
- Doctors say the average adult should get no less than 8 hours of sleep per night
All of us fail occasionally – don’t we? It is not out desire or intent but, “hey it happens.” Nobody wants to be known as a failure in life, but the truth is: failure is universal! Everybody experiences failure, and everybody experiences the fear of failure. In fact, just the fear of failure paralyzes millions of people.
Thomas Edison said it like this,
“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize
how close they were to success when they gave up.”
.Nobody is perfect. We all blow it. You can’t get away from that principle in Scripture. Great men of the Bible failed.
- Abraham failed to believe that God would give him a son so he slept with someone who wasn’t his wife, but God didn’t give up on him.
- Jacob was a thief, and God allowed him to bless the world through his children.
- Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord, survived the flood but ended up getting drunk.
- Moses stuttered and was a murderer.
- David committed adultery with Bethsheba, and then murdered her husband to hide his failing. Yet, David became known as a man “after God’s heart.”
Folks, the list could go on and on. Everyone fails!
Everybody fails. You’re a superstar in baseball if you only make an out 700 times out of a thousand at bat. If you’re a professional basketball player, you’re at the top of the game if you miss 50% of your shots.
1. Even good guys stumble! History is filled with the biographies of failures who got up and kept going.
- George Washington lost 2/3 of all the battles he fought during the American Revolution, but eventually won the war and became the first President of the United States.
- Napoleon graduated 42nd in a class of 43 students. Brilliant! Then he went out and conquered Europe. Failure doesn’t have to be final.
- Billy Graham said that when he was asked to preach his first sermon. He had 4 sermons prepared and he was so nervous he preached all four of them in under 10 minutes. Can you imagine if Billy Graham had said, “You know, I’m just not cut out for this. I don’t want to endure that kind of embarrassment again”? The world would have missed one of the greatest preachers of all time. Failure doesn’t have to be final.
C. Failure is not absent from Christian lives
Do you believe in God
…I am a cashier at Shoemakers Fuel Station, the last top on Hwy 77 one can make before heading south bound out of Lincoln. I work the evening shift from 3pm to midnight most everyday of the week and so it’s really no surprise to me to see some pretty wild things happen! However, the wildest thing came Saturday night after Dare 2 Share 2011 was released from Pershing Center. My slow and boring night was unexpectedly lit up by over 150 wild, joyful, and passionate kids that came crusing into my station on your return trips home! I enjoyed seeing all of you there and the burning passion you all had for the awesome weekend you shared together! It brought back great memories for me! But, I have a special shout out to an unknown individual who happen to be there that night! Whoever this guy or girl may have been, he or she left a simple card that asked a powerful question: Do You Believe in God? It wasn’t until I closed the store that night that I had found this little card next to my register and I happen to like it so I kept it and took it home with me deciding later that when I came back to work the next day I would leave it next to my register again and see if anyone would notice it! I served 423 customers that next night and after i tallied up how many people said something to me about my little card…my total only came to 1.