Summary: Faith is the victory we have from God. We can overcome all with our faith!
• Life is very tough on us at times. I know there are some here who are having a rough go of it right now, you feel like you are powerless to deal with your situation, you feel defeated.
• That is not a good feeling is it? Who wants to feel defeated before they even step out of bed in the morning?
• We are in the midst of the Baseball playoffs right now. If you are a fan you know there are several teams who go into the season with no real hope of winning or getting to the playoffs. Teams like Tampa Bay, Detroit, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh just to name a few.
• You thought I was going to say Chicago didn’t you. They have the White Sox so they have a chance.
• We need to understand that we do not play on a team that has no chance of winning, the team we play on God’s team has already won the victory of us we just need to live it and enjoy the victories already won for us.
• The great thing about being the God’s team is the fact that God is the one who has provided the victory for us, He is the winning pitcher, the pitcher with the save and He hit the game winning homeruns!
• Today we going to see that Faith is the Victory. Through our faith, we get to experience some wonderful victories in life.
• Can you imagine being on a winning team and living like you do not even know it?
• Let us read 1 John 5:1-4 together this morning. SLIDE #2, #3
Faith gives us: SLIDE #4
I. SPIRITUAL VICTORY (1)
1. When we believe in Jesus, we become a part of His family.
• When we believe in Jesus, we become a part of God’s family. We are new creations in Christ! Because of what Jesus did when He came to die on the cross for our sins, we achieve a spiritual victory!
• Making a decision to want to be a part of God’s family is the most important decision you will make in your life. If you are not a part of God’s family through the blood of Jesus, you will not receive eternal life, the forgiveness of sins, the indwelling gift of the Holy Spirit or the wonderful blessings God wants you to have in this life also!
• In a moment we will look at what it means to believe in Jesus.
• John tells us that if we believe that Jesus is the Messiah, or the one sent from God we are born of God.
• Being born of God is a one time past act with continuing present day results.
• When you are struggling, it is good to know that because of your faith, you are a part of God’s family.
• We have a spiritual victory because we are a new creation when we become a part of God’s family! SLIDE #6
• 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NASB) 17Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
• Our faith in Jesus gives us this wonderful gift! You no longer lost and dead in your sins you are child of God!
• SLIDE #7
2. What does it mean to believe in Jesus?
• The Life Application Bible states the following concerning belief: To “believe” means to put one’s trust and confidence in, to be convinced of, the truth. To believe in Jesus as “the Christ” means to trust him as God’s Messiah, his unique Anointed One, and have faith in him.
• It means believing that Jesus of Nazareth was God’s one and only Son and that he was anointed by God’s Spirit to preach the gospel, heal the sick, raise the dead, die on the cross for sin, and rise from the dead to become the Savior. (Life Application Bible)
• This verse does not imply faith alone. The word belief is a figure of speech that represents all the requirements of God which are necessary prior to one becoming a child of God.
• It would encompass the issue of repentance confession and immersion. SLIDE #8
• Galatians 3:26 - 27 (NASB) 26For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
• To believe means more that an intellectual exercise it involves action.
• If we believe, we will be led to do certain things like being obedient and loving others. We will look at both of these issues in a moment.
• Belief is not just saying you believe, it is acting on what you believe.