Summary: This single mom’s faith has great lessons for us as we celebrate Mother’s Day in 2003.
FAITH OF A DESPERATE SINGLE MOM
I came across this (www.christianitytoday.com) and I thought I share it with you as we begin this morning’s message -
“Faster than a speeding toddler, more powerful than a cocky teenager, able to leap roller blades and hockey sticks in a single bound! Look up on that ladder… is it dad changing a light bulb??? a workman painting the ceiling???
NO!!!! It’s AWESOME MOM sorting through the laundry pile that has accumulated over the weekend.
Strange alien to a lazy teen, she hustles through the house with power and authority far beyond that of mortal man. Yes its AWESOME MOM!… Who disguised as a *totally weird creature who never ever was a kid herself* fights a never ending battle for TRUTH… JUSTICE… and time alone in the bathroom!”
Mothers, they are truly awesome beings. So happy mothers day to all our mothers! Here’s another thing I found this past week… It’s a David Letterman Top Ten list type thing. In honor of this great day, “You know you’re a mom”
Top Ten List…
10. You know you’re a mom when you automatically double-knot everything you tie.
9. You know you’re a mom when you find yourself humming the Barney song as you do the dishes.
8. You know you’re a mom when you gently sway back and forth… back and forth—however… your children are at school!!!
7. You know you’re a mom when you can never go to the bathroom alone without someone screaming outside the door.
6. You know you’re a mom when you actually start to like the smell of strained carrots mixed with applesauce.
5. You know you’re a mom when you weep through the scene in Dumbo when his mom is taken away….not to mention what Bambi does to you.
4. You know you’re a mom when you actually start understanding the Klingon language.
3. You know you’re a mom when you get soooo into crafts you contemplate writing a book called: "101 Fun Crafts to do with Dryer Lint and Eggshells."
2. You know you’re a mom when you spend a half hour searching for your sunglasses only to have your teenager say… "Mom, why don’t you wear the ones you pushed up on your head?"
1. You know your a mom when you are out for a nice romantic meal with your husband, enjoying some real adult conversation, when suddenly you realize as you are talking you have reached over and carefully started to cut up his steak! (source: www.christianitytoday.com)
I suppose, beneath all the laughter, we can see that mothers go through a lot, don’t they? Here’s another story, in the Bible of a single mother (look at 1 Kings 17 (quickview) ) who went through a lot…
7Eventually the brook dried up because of the drought. 8Then GOD spoke to him: 9"Get up and go to Zarephath in Sidon and live there. I’ve instructed a woman who lives there, a widow, to feed you."
10So he got up and went to Zarephath. As he came to the entrance of the village he met a woman, a widow, gathering firewood. He asked her, "Please, would you bring me a little water in a jug? I need a drink." 11As she went to get it, he called out, "And while you’re at it, would you bring me something to eat?"