Summary: Part 3 of 6 in a series on exploring "Faith". This message focuses on utilizing our faith to praise the Lord in every circumstance; and ensuring that our focus is on giving Him glory and honor always.
There was a preacher that was trying to sell his horse.
A potential buyer came to the church for a test ride.
"Before you start" the preacher said," you should know that this horse only responds to church talk. Go is praise the lord and stop is amen."
So the man on the horse says "Praise the lord," and the horse starts to trot. The man again says "Praise the lord," and the horse starts to gallop.
Suddenly there is a cliff right in front of the horse and the man yells "Amen!!!" The horse stops just at the edge of the cliff.
The man wipes the sweat from his brow and says, "Praise the Lord."
- This evening I want to talk to you about the reasons why we should praise God and then we are going to look at the ways we are to praise God.
There are 5 reasons to praise God …
1. Almighty God is worthy of our praise and worship
Ps 18:3, “I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised.”
Rev 5:11-12, “Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice: Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessing!”
- Who God is – This is Worship
- What God has done – This is Praise
- What God has done for you – This is Thanksgiving
- Praise and thanksgiving … is verbalized faith.
- If you thank God after the fact, that’s gratitude. If you thank God before it happens … that’s faith.
- If you don’t know how, begin to praise from the Psalms.
- It is a book telling us how to praise God.
2. We are called to praise and worship God
1 Peter 2:5 (quickview) , 9, “You also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.”
Ps 150:6, “Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.”
3. Worship changes us
Jer 2:5, “They followed worthless idols and became worthless themselves.”
- You become like what you worship.
-- If you worship superficial things, your life becomes superficial.
-- If you worship perverted things your life becomes perverted.
-- If you worship evil things your life becomes evil.
-- If your worship the true God you become godly.
Isa 61:3, “The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.”
4. Praise and worship ushers in the manifested presence of God
Ps 22:3, “But You are holy, enthroned in the praises of Israel.”
- When we humble ourselves to worship, we ask God to join us
- Our praise/worship calls upon the One who is 100% deserving of it
5. Praise defeats our enemy
Ps 8:2, “From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.”