Summary: What must I do through hardships?
Faith that Grows through Hardships
PROPOSITION: Because Christ glorified His Father through suffering, you must glorify Christ by growing spiritually through suffering.
I. Beware of the persistence of the Evil One. v. 1-6
A. Satan’s persistence in attacking Job’s faith (1-3).
1. Satan reappears before God as a subordinate (1-2).
2. God holds up Job as a trophy of His grace (3).
B. Satan’s proposition that Job barters with God (4-6).
1. Satan’s proposition: All that a man has he will give for his life (4-5).
2. God’s permission: “he is in thine hand” (6).
II. Practice integrity in personal suffering. v. 7-10
A. Satan proceeds to strike Job with a disease (7-8).
1. Job suffered alone as a cast off.
2. Christ suffered alone as a cast off.
B. His wife proceeds to give evil counsel (9-10).
1. Hellish counsel…curse God and die.
2. Honorable response … Job did not sin with his lips.
3. Consider what the Bible has to say about suffering:
III. Be thankful for caring friends. v. 11-13
A. There is great value in godly friends (11-12).
1. They came to show sympathy and comfort.
2. They were overwhelmed with his condition.
B. There are limitations to our friendships (13).