Summary: 1. It is impressive to note the great influence that Joshua had with those of his generation - cf. Josh 24:29-31 a. Of course, much of that influence was due to God being with him and doing many "great works" b. Such as the parting of
"THE LEADERSHIP QUALITIES OF JOSHUA"
1. It is impressive to note the great influence that Joshua had with
those of his generation - cf. Josh 24:29-31
a. Of course, much of that influence was due to God being with him
and doing many "great works"
b. Such as the parting of the Jordan River, the fall of Jericho, the
day the sun and moon stood still
2. But credit must also be given to Joshua, for from the very beginning
the promise of God’s support was based upon Joshua’s faithful
obedience to the Word of God - Josh 1:1-9
3. Joshua therefore stands before us as an example of what it takes to
be a great leader...
a. Every generation needs good leadership, especially in times of
struggle and doubt
b. For those who lead, or who might one day serve as leaders, Joshua
serves as a role model
c. For those who follow, he serves as an example of what we should
look for in our leaders
[In this lesson, we shall consider more closely those qualities of
Joshua that served to make him the great leader that he was, so that we
know what to expect in those who would lead today.
We begin by noticing that Joshua was...]
I. A MAN OF HUMILITY
A. BEFORE HE WAS A LEADER, HE WAS WILLING TO SERVE...
1. For forty years he served under Moses in the Wilderness
2. He was known as "Moses’ assistant", "his servant" - Exo 24:13;
-- Great leaders are people who have no problem with serving
others if that is their lot in life; indeed, it helps prepare
to them to lead
B. EVEN AS A LEADER, HE WAS WILLING TO SERVE...
1. Though having been magnified by the Lord himself - Josh 3:7;
2. He was still willing to serve One greater than himself - Josh
-- Great leaders do not let praise go to their head; they are
humble enough to know when it is time to serve once again
[Joshua’s humility is also demonstrated as we consider another quality
that we find in him...]
II. A MAN OF FAITH AND TRUST IN GOD
A. AS DEMONSTRATED WHEN SENT TO SPY OUT THE LAND...
1. Ten of the twelve spies demonstrated their lack of faith in
God by their report - Num 13:25-28
2. But despite the "peer pressure" he must have felt, Joshua
(along with Caleb) demonstrated his faith in God by his report
- cf. Nu 14:6-9
B. AS DEMONSTRATED IN THE FALL OF JERICHO...
1. The Lord gave him the instructions to take the city - Josh
2. Only full trust and faith in the Lord could have led Joshua to
follow such instructions, but he did! - cf. He 11:30
[Great leaders realize they cannot place their faith in men (including
themselves); they must look to God!
Closely related to this is another quality of Joshua that made him a
great leader: he was...]
III. A MAN OF GOD’S WORD
A. HIS SUCCESS WAS DIRECTLY RELATED TO HIS ADHERENCE TO THE WORD OF
1. To ensure success, he had to fulfill all the Law as given by
Moses - Josh 1:7
2. To ensure that he did, he was to meditate upon the Law day and
night - Josh 1:8
B. TIME AND AGAIN, WE SEE THAT JOSHUA WAS TRUE TO THE WORD...
1. In reminding the two and half tribes of their responsibility
- Josh 1:12-15
2. In renewing the covenant at Mount Ebal and Mount Gerizim -