Summary: Some of us have had the privilege of raising Godly children. I don't take that lightly. I will also say that it didn't happen by accident. Here are a few things that I have learned along the way...
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
I. BE A GODLY EXAMPLE
EXAM'PLE, n. – A pattern; a copy; a mode; that which is proposed to be imitated. – Webster’s
A. Act like a Christian
1. In Word and Conversation
16. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.
17. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
2. In Practice (Business and Personally)
B. Pray and Study the Word in front of your kids
1. Kids learn through example better than any other way. (Your actions speak louder than words)
2. Give them the memories…
C. Live Honestly and Honorably
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
1. Always tell the truth
2. Be honorable in business and in life
II. TEACH BIBLICAL BOUNDARIES
A. How can a child live by the principles of God’s Word if we don’t teach them what they are?
1. Quit leaving it to the Church
2. Provide a Biblical Standard to live by in your home. (Clean up your house)
a. If Jesus were scheduled to come to your house for dinner, (Like Zacchaeus) what adjustments would you need to make?
B. Teach Boundaries
1. Be careful that you don’t shelter them to much. (We are IN THIS WORLD but not of it…) – John 17
C. Give your child a safe place to fail…
1. How can they learn to recover (or bounce back) if they are not allowed to fail?
III. TEACH AND LIVE BY GODLY PRIORITIES
A. If you want your kids to prioritize God then you must prioritize Him!
1. The very first of the Ten Commandments is: “Thou shalt have no other God’s before me.” Exodus 20:3
a. Anything that takes the place of God in your life becomes your idol.
b. Examples of idols could be… family, work, hobbies, etc.
B. Quit making excuses for laying out of Church!
1. Luke 9:57-62: “Let me first go and bury my father…”
2. Family comes into town today and that’s a good enough excuse to put God on the back burner. (How many family members were saved in the past because they came to Church when they visited their loved ones?)
C. WWJD was not a bad movement!
Closing: Teach them about honor