Summary: A Fathers Day sermon about the father loving the family, and the family, in turn, loving and appreciating the father. All based upon Godly principles.
TODAY IS THE ONE DAY EACH YEAR
* We set aside to honor our fathers.
* What a shame we don’t do this
* Every day of the year
A FAMILY WAS CELEBRATING FATHERS DAY
* When the little girl
* Started giving it a lot of thought.
SHE ASKED HER MOM,
* If Santa brings presents,
* And if God gives us our daily bread,
* And if Uncle Sam gives us social security - -
* Why do we need daddy?
FOR THE MOST PART
* Men do a pretty good job
* Of being husbands and fathers,
* Even though we do tend to forget dates
I AM REMINDED OF A MAN
* Who was drinking his morning coffee
* And reading the newspaper
* Before he went off to work
HIS WIFE CAME IN
* And asked if he knew what day it was.
* Of course, he had no clue
* But didn’t want to appear that obvious
SO HE SAID YES,
* And quickly pretended
* He was very interested in what he was reading
AS THE DAY PROGRESSED,
* He wracked his brain
* Trying to remember what day it was
* But he couldn’t come up with anything
SO TO BE SAFE,
* He sent her roses at 9:00 am.
* And again at lunchtime
WHEN HE WENT HOME,
* She met him at the door,
* And said … this is the best
* Veterans Day ever !
THE MORAL IS:
* while men are not perfect,
* we need to be appreciated
* for trying so hard.
A WORD OF ADVICE FOR YOU MEN:
* Write down those dates
* and put them in your wallet.
* It will save you a lot of time, grief, and money later
LET ME START TODAY’S MESSAGE BY SAYING -
* any man can be a father
* not every father can be a daddy
AND THAT IS MY MESSAGE FOR TODAY –
* How to be the best DADDY
* That you can be
PROVERBS 3:12 says
* the Lord disciplines those He loves.
* He teaches them -
* like a father teaches the son
WE OFTEN GET THE WORDS;
* ‘discipline’ and ‘punishment’ mixed up‘
* Discipline’ means to train and teach’
* punishment’ means to give someone harsh consequence
* for a wrongful action already committed
MY DAD DISCIPLINED US
* by teaching us,
* but he never hesitated
* to punish us when we deserved it, too
HE WAS FULL OF WISDOM.
* he was going to punish me once
* by making me stay inside …..
I TOLD HIM I WAS INNOCENT!
* whatever it was I was being punished for,
* and he thought for a moment and said ….
IN THE OVERALL SCHEME OF THINGS
* You’ve gotten away with more
* Than you’ve ever been caught for …
* So take your punishment and be quiet
PROVERBS 13:22 says
* ’a good man will leave an inheritance for his children’s children’
WHEN WE HEAR THE WORD ’INHERITANCE’
* we think of money, don’t we?
* But the kind of inheritance the Word is speaking about
* Is the spiritual inheritance we will leave
THINK ABOUT THIS!
* with spiritual blessings, your great grandchildren
* will love and teach their children your values,
* all because you loved and taught your children!
* That is what a DADDY starts when he loves his children
* should be required reading for every father
’Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training &
the instruction of the Lord.’
NOW, THIS IS FOR THE CHILDREN:
* You’re parents aren’t perfect
* They don’t do everything right -
* Any more than you do !
KIDS - QUIT HASSLING THEM