Summary: This message is to encourage fathers to be great Dads to their children. FATHERS is an acrostic for each point in the message.
"F A T H E R S: The Compass of the Family"
- Honor our fathers today
- Fathers are responsible for setting the pattern for their children to grow in
- Fathers are to be the compass of the family
- What is purpose of a compass? It is an instrument that guides us in the right direction
- A compass helps us to find our way when we get lost
- Many families today seem so lost and one of the main reasons is because there is no Father, no compass, no direction setting device, in the home.
- What direction then should we be setting as Fathers? What type of compass should Fathers be?
- The WORD F A T H E R S contains what we should be
- Turn to Eph 6:4 / Pray
(TRANS): In the home today, we need more Fathers that are the compass of showing they are…
1. FUN TO BE WITH
- "Do not provoke your children to wrath…"
- Some kids can’t wait for Dad to leave…always grumpy, angry
- Being a good father requires patience with children and have fun
- You play a big factor in how your children perceive God (Expound)
- We need more Fathers that enjoy their children and in return…children enjoy their father
- Rachel drawing in my office…"I love my Dad because he wrestles with me"
- Dads, if you don’t take the time to enjoy them while they’re young, you’ll grow old to regret it.
(TRANS) Not only should fathers be fun to be with but they also, they need to be the compass in showing they’re are…
- Rom 12:10, "Be kindly affectionate towards one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another."
- In our text "Bring Up" literally means to nourish tenderly
- Our children should be objects of our tender, affectionate care
- If we Fathers need anything more in the lives of our children it is to show them sincere, heartfelt affection
- Young boys and homosexuals / Young girls sexually impure at 14 yrs
- Fathers can show affection in every part of life for their children
- Your children need a Daddy they can sit in their lap, hug their neck, kiss their lips…be affectionate with
- Nothing wrong with being a man…but Jesus wept…Jesus showed affection
- He is one the strongest men I know
- We need Fathers that are not afraid to be AFFECTIONATE with their children, this will cause them to be able to be affectionate with their children
(TRANS) Thirdly, we need fathers who set the course for life and will take the time to…
3. TRAIN THEIR CHILDREN
- Fathers are to be the spiritual leaders in the home
- They have the responsibility to train their children in spiritual matters
- Prov. 22:6, Train up a child in the way he should go; And when he is old he will not depart from it.
- Child training brings three things that Fathers must include as the compass:
1. Dedication: of Father’s to raise the child up dedicated to God
2. Instruction: Father’s are to try and cause them to learn every essential
in pleasing God (Prov 1:8)
3. Discipline: Fathers are to lovingly and firmly train the child through discipline (verse 4 says, "admonition")
Prov 13:24 " spares rod hates…loves disciplines"