Summary: You don’t have to look very far to realize in this day that it is more a form of godliness and deny the power of it we need a real fear of God struck in the hearts of our churches.
THE FEAR OF GOD ROMANS 3:18
1. THE FEAR OF GOD IS A GREAT RESTRAINT FOR EVIL – PROVERBS 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.
A. We need a revival to restore the fear of God to human hearts.
B. If we fear God, we regard His authority. Fear His displeasure.
C. When the fear of God is right, the heart is kept right.
2. THE FEAR OF GOD WILL BRING PEOPLE TO CHRIST FOR SALVATION PSALMS 85:9 Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may
Dwell in our land.
A. The fear of God will cause people to depart from evil. Proverbs 16:6
B. The fear of God will move us to get others saved. Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
C. If we had more of the fear of God in our churches, we would have more saved
3. THE FEAR OF GOD WILL PRODUCE PURITY - PSALMS 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
A. The fear of God will keep us clean when love won’t.
B. Unless the fear of God is in our hearts, we won’t shun sin and hate it.
C. The fear of God in our hearts will make us what we ought to be.
4. THE FEAR OF GOD WILL AFFECT OUR WHOLE LIFE. - PSALMS 34:9
O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.
A. It will affect our marriage. Eph. 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
B. It will affect our relationships Col 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;
C. It will affect our happiness and holiness. Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
5. THE FEAR OF THE LORD WILL AFFECT OUR WORSHIP – ECC. 5:1 Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil.
A. The modern day of ungodliness 2 Tim 3:5 - Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
B. The vows so easily made too easily broken. – Ecc. 5:4 When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. 5:5 Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest
vow and not pay.
C. All of this proves there is hardly any fear of the Lord in the human heart.
6. THE FEAR OF GOD IS A CURE FOR MAN MADE THINGS. PSALMS 34:7
The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
A. Perfect love cast out all fear. 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
7. THE QUESTION OF THE DAY “DOST NOT THOU FEAR GOD?”
A. Sinners – fear the wrath of God. Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
B. Christians – fear the chastisement of God. Hebrews 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them, which are exercised thereby.
DO YOU FEAR GOD?