Summary: Your Family is worth fighting for, so find out how to fight.
￼Fighting for Your Family Message # 1
￼OPEN: Today we are starting a Brand New
￼Series called “Fighting For Your Family”.
Notice I didn’t say “Fighting WITH Your Family”! You probably don’t need any help on how to do that.
JOKE: Speaking of family.....- A young boy brought home his report card heavy with poor grades. His mother asked him, "What do you have to say for yourself?" The boy replied,
- "Well, at least you know I ain't cheatin’!”
￼• TODAY’S MESSAGE WILL BE MORE OF
￼AN INTRODUCTION TO THE THINGS WE
￼ARE GOING TO TALK ABOUT OVER THE
￼NEXT FEW WEEKS
• TALK ABOUT THE COMPLEXITY OF FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS
• TALK ABOUT THINKING THE BIBLE SHOULD BE THE GUIDE
oMANY, MANY MESSED UP FAMILIES IN THE BIBLE
• SO I THOUGHT IF ANYONE WOULD HAVE THE “PERFECT FAMILY” IT WOULD BE JESUS
oIMAGINE BEING IN JESUS’ FAMILY IMAGINE A GUY BRAGGING
ABOUT HIS BROTHER
BUT YOUR NAME IS JAMES AND
YOU ARE THE HALF-BROTHER
OF JESUS (ELABORATE) oTAKE YOU TO A SCRIPTURE THAT
WILL BLOW YOU AWAY!
oI MEAN IF ANYONE HAD A PERFECT FAMILY, IT WOULD BE JESUS RIGHT? WRONG!
￼Mark 3: 20 Then Jesus entered a
￼house, and again a crowd gathered, so that he
￼and his disciples were not even able to eat.
￼21 When his family heard about this, they went
￼to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out
￼of his mind.”
• Basically Jesus’ family was saying “YOU DONE LOST YO’ MIND”
• THEN IN VERSE 31 IT SAYS
• NOW THIS WAS THE ORIGINAL “INTERVENTION” (HAVE YOU EVER WATCHED THAT SHOW?)
￼mother and brothers arrived. Standing
￼￼outside, they sent someone in to call him.
￼• JOHN 7:5 “...EVEN HIS OWN BROTHERS
￼DID NOT BELIEVE HIM...”
• SO EVEN JESUS DIDN’T HAVE A PERFECT FAMILY!
• AND THAT’S MY FIRST POINT TODAY....
￼# 1 – THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A
• THAT SHOULD BE A RELIEF TO EVERYONE IN THIS ROOM
• LOOK, 3 CHAPTERS INTO THE BIBLE RECORDS THE FIRST ARGUMENT BETWEEN A HUSBAND AND A WIFE. ADAM BLAMES EVE FOR WHAT HE DID
• THEN IN CHAPTER 4 WE HAVE OUR FIRST SIBLING RIVALRY, WHICH LEADS TO CAIN KILLING ABEL
• THE BIBLE HAD SOME JACKED-UP FAMILIES AND WE HAVE SOME JACKED UP FAMILIES
• AS MUCH AS WE WANT TO BE LIKE WARD AND JUNE CLEAVER, OUR
FAMILIES ARE PROBABLY A LITTLE MORE LIKE EDITH AND ARCHER BUNKER, IF NOT THE SIMPSONS
• There is no such thing as a perfect family!
￼# 2 – ONLY FAMILIES THAT LIVE BY
￼GODLY PRINCIPLES SURVIVE AND
• If I were to ask you “what does it take to have a successful family?”, every attribute you could name would be an attribute from God
• For example “love”, “forgiveness”, “peace”