Summary: The times in which we live are consuming our energy. There are ways to renew and revive an active faith, beginning with a focus on Jesus.
1. Are you also feeling the fatigue that is associated with this time in which we are living?
a. A few months ago streaming church services at home seemed to be the thing to do – if you are still streaming, how are you doing?
b. How is “Sheltering in place” affecting you? Are you tired and tired of it?
2. I read about a woman who telephoned a friend and asked how she was feeling, "Terrible," was the reply. "My head’s splitting and my back and legs are killing me. The house is a mess, and the kids are simply driving me crazy." Very sympathetically the caller said, "Listen, go and lie down, I’ll come over right away and cook lunch for you, clean up the house, and take care of the children while you get some rest. By the way, how is Sam?"
"Sam?" the complaining housewife gasped. "Who is Sam?”
"My!" exclaimed the first woman, "I must have dialed the wrong number. I’m sorry."
There was a pause. The fatigued mother asked, "Are you still coming over?”
3. What do you do when you feel fatigued, especially in your spirit?
4. God gives us some assistance for our fatigued faith - Hebrews 1:1-4
Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
I. The Supernatural Element
A. Christianity and the Bible are Above the Natural (“Super” Natural)
1. We have a tendency to downplay the supernatural and treat spiritual things as unspiritual
2. We have a tendency to downplay the HS and ignore his work and presence
3. Yet we face Supernatural issues – Ephesians 6:12 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
• The issues we are seeing today are not the issues
• The real issues are spiritual ones – will we serve or reject God
• John Adams: "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
B. God is Supernatural and Has Acted Supernaturally – Ephesians 4:6 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
1. Through the prophets Hebrews 1:1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets,
Moses @ Sinai – Prophets: The word of the LORD came to Abram (Genesis 15:1); Nathan (2 Samuel 7:4); Elijah (1 Kings 17:2); 2 Peter 1:21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
2. Through the Son – a supernatural event from birth to resurrection – Hebrews 1:2a in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son,
3. Recognizing the interest of our supernatural God lifts our spirits
His love; concern; interest – exhilarating to us
II. The Supernatural Answer for Our Natural Problems – God’s Son Hebrews 1:2b-3 . . . he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, . . .
A. Jesus is Our Supernatural Savior and Messiah
1. 7 Characteristics of Jesus : Heir; Creator; Reflects Glory; Image of God; Sustainer; Purifier; Superior
2. We follow in his steps
B. HS is Our Supernatural Guide and Presence of Jesus
1. Guide into truth – John 16:13
2. Helper and Teacher – John 14:26 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.