Summary: What Paul is doing is warning us that we need to be careful how we live. • Are we living the way God expects us to.
Filling Our Tank With The Spirit" Ephesians 5:15-5:21
What do you do when your gas gauge starts to get low?
• I know this sounds like a pretty simple question
• But when we think about it we really have two options
• First we can stop at the next gas station and get gas
• Or we can try and make it to where we think gas is cheaper
• Now I make a lot of trips back and forth to Lincoln IL when I was going to college
• And I knew from experience that the gas at the Loves travel Plaza at exit 108
• Is a lot cheaper than gas anywhere around here
• So if I have at least a ¼ tank when I left Home
• That’s where I try and make it to before I stop to get gas
Now most of us have done this at least once
• We either want to save a couple of cents
• Or we don’t want to be inconvenienced by stopping when we are in a hurry to get somewhere
• Or maybe we forgot our wallet or check book
• But for whatever reason we are now on a mission to make it to a certain location
• And we’re driving on fumes.
As we drive we constantly watch the gauge and wonder it we’re gonna make it
• We start thinking about running out of gas and all the problems that go along with it.
• And if we do run out we find ourselves sitting on the edge of the road
• Asking ourselves “Why didn’t I just stop and get gas earlier?”
Now it’s a whole lot simplier today than it used to be
• Today we have things like cell phones, and we can text,
• Not to mention that fuel injection on cars allows them to get a whole lot better gas milage.
But BC that’s before cell phones we were left with 3 choices:
1. You have to walk to the nearest house and ask for help.
2. You had to go on a search for a pay phone.
3. You have to walk to the next station.
And once you had the gas and put it in the tank you had to
• Save some to pour in the carburetor, Which meant removing the breather.
• And then hoping it would start before it blew up.
But if you were lucky enough to make it to the filling station
• You were relieved
• And when you got back in the car and starting driving
• You starting getting cocky and thinking to yourself, “I knew I could make it!”
Well this is what sometimes happens to Christians
• People sometimes get just a little too cocky with their Christian life
• And they let their Spiritual tanks run low.
Now if you find this happening to you lately
• Then I’m here today to be your gauge
• And to warn you that you better be filling up.
With this being said lets look at Ephesians 5:15-20
What Paul is doing is warning us that we need to be careful how we live.
• Are we living the way God expects us to.
• Now notice I said expects and not wants.
• If we look at the way we live as what God wants
• It makes it sound like God has given us a choice.
And It’s true that at one time we did have a choice