Summary: Summary of Truths from Esther
TRUTHS GLEANED FROM ESTHER
9/30/09 Esther 9 & 10
1. June 24th Began our Study of Esther
a. 11 sermons later we come to the end
b. Chaps. 9 & 10 Summarize and Explain
1)Events – Haman’s hatred and death; Jews self defense
2) Establishes – Feast of Purim; 5 Official estb by God & this
2. Purim – holiday of great joy and celebration
a. Initiated by Mordecai and Esther
b. Allowed by God
c. Named after pur – casting of lots- Haman chose Jews D. Day
Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.
Proverbs 16:33 (MSG) Make your motions and cast your votes, but God has the final say.
3. 9 Mos. after death of Haman and Promo of Mordecai
a. 3 camps drawn up – Jews; enemies of Jews; afraid of Jews
b. same today – Christians; enemies of C.; afraid of Christians
1. DON’T HAVE TO BE PERFECT TO BE USABLE
A. Mordecai & Esther- secular Jews
1. Never their intention to become involved
2. Mordecai’s Refusal to Bow
a. Haman’s Unworthiness
1) Men of little Character treated like gods – money/sports/movies
2) What we might over look God will not!
b. Haman’s Family Hatred
1) Agag King of Amalekites – ordered destroyed
2) Saul did not but prophet did – to late – some escaped
3) Amalekites always stand for the flesh/world
B. Put in Place Where decision had to be made
1. Fish of Cut bait – get in or out
Luke 11:23 He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathers not with me scatters.
Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Deuteronomy 30:15-20 See, I have set before you this day life and good, and death and evil; 16 In that I command you this day to love the LORD your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that you may live and multiply: and the LORD your God shall bless you in the land whither you go to possess it. 17 But if your heart turn away, so that you will not hear, but shall be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; 18 I denounce unto you this day, that you shall surely perish, and that you shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither you pass over Jordan to go to possess it. 19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both you and your seed may live: 20 That you may love the LORD your God, and that you may obey his voice, and that you may cleave unto him: for he is your life, and the length of your days: that you may dwell in the land which the LORD swore unto your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
2. DECISIONS WILL EFFECT MORE THAN ME
A. Esther Vacillated
1. Go before King w/o summons = death
2. Mordecai – 2:13-14
3. Esther “If I perish, I perish”
B. Vs. That cause me great concern
Exodus 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.
Numbers 14:18 The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.
Numbers 14:33 And your children shall wander in the wilderness forty years, and bear your whoredoms, until your carcasses be wasted in the wilderness.
3. WE MUST RECOGNIZE OUR REAL ENEMY
A. Haman was the Apparent Enemy
1. Ever wonder who pointed out Mordecai?
a. Who kept it on Haman’s mind?
2. 3:10 to 9:1 enemy became enemies
B. Enemy behind all attacks/slanders/sin
1. Satan - 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:
2. Spend all of our time battling wrong enemy
a. Strength will soon be gone
b. Wrong enemy will become “enemies”
3. This enemy will never give up
a. even though knows defeated
b. wants to do as much despite to Jesus as possible
4. GOD WILL DELIVER HIS PEOPLE
A. Remember What Mordecai said: Esther 4:14 then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place;