Summary: In this message we will discover how to find freedom from the deadly toxin of comparison.
Finding Freedom From
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. – Galatians 5:1
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free… So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” – John 8:31,32, 36
OKAY – so we are in this series, a very important series, a potentially life-changing series…Finding Freedom in a world that seeks to bind us.
NOW THIS MORNING – we are going to talk about finding freedom from COMPARISON.
Freedom from what?
QUESTION – has comparison ever been your master?
Has it ever been the boss of you?
LIKE – has comparison ever controlled… your moods, peace, joy, hope, confidence, hope, self worth?
UNDER BROTHERS ANS SISTERS – comparison in a very lousy boss and an extremely cruel master.
QUESTION – how many of you, and raise your hands (in this room and online)… are you on Facebook or Instagram?
OKAY – then I know you have a pretty good understanding of what comparison is all about.
NOW – when Facebook started (on 2/2004, by a Harvard Sophomore) is was pretty much about
keeping up with people that you like, but over the years it has kind of evolved to keeping up with people you resent.
NOW – before Facebook and Instagram (as crazy and primitive as it sounds) you did not know so many of the details about the lives of others…
LIKE - before social media I did not know about or see images of…
• How great your plate of food for dinner looked
• How incredible your vacation was
• How amazing your home looks at Christmas
• How cute your kids are at bedtime
• How great your new haircut looks
• How stunning and happy you and your spouse looked on your date night
• How adventurous you look on your latest outdoor conquest
• Happy you looked as were working on some outreach for God
• How far you can now run or much weight you had lost
• What college your child was accepted to
• HAVE YOU EVER - scrolled through your feed on Facebook or Instagram and began to feel discontent with your own life? LIKE – somehow kids, your home, your marriage, your life was not measuring up?
It Crazy – I tend some scrolling just yesterday and I saw this picture at friends church in Florida.
• HAVE YOU EVER – decided to up your came, and stage that perfect photo so that people will know just how awesome your life is? That way, maybe you could make them feel a little discontent about their life compared to yours?
• AND HAVE YOU EVER – done what I have done… take pictures of pictures…
YOU SEE – some of the stuff I want you to see (like me those cute pictures of me with my older kids cute picture or our wedding pictures) all I have is actual photographs… so I have taken pictures of pictures… Yeah, I know… very lame.
BUT LISTEN, LISTEN – one of the great, helpful and thing about Facebook and Instagram… THEY ARE - a constant reminder (and we all need reminding of this) that…
there is no win in comparison.
AND LISTEN – not only is there no win in comparison but there is also no freedom in comparison.
MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS
IS WHY – this morning 12/20/20 we are going to talk about finding freedom from COMPARSION.
NOW HERE’S - how I want to attack our conversation this morning… by unpacking two statements.
1. Comparison is a major problem
2. Godly significance is freedom (and as I said last week this is where the First Christmas Story comes in)
AND LET ME BE CLEAR – the goal of this conversation is for you and I to stop living in the trap of comparison and begin pursuing Godly significance.
AND LISTEN – Jesus did not put on flesh and come to this world as baby for you and to be enslaved by comparison.
I. Comparison Is A Major Problem
AND – let me give you 2 reasons why it is a problem
A) It’s not wise
We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. – 2 Corinthians 10:12
When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise.
AND LISTEN - comparison is not wise for at least 3 reasons…