Finding Our Way When We Are Lost
Contributed by Gerald Van Horn on Sep 19, 2006 (message contributor)
Summary: It’s easy to find directions with the technology of the Computor
Finding Directions For Life
Text: Proverbs 15:24 “The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.”
It’s easy to find directions with the technology of the computer. Some Atlas’ are very little help for they need up-dating ever so often. Streets and avenues are constantly being added. A sure direction finder is the DSL. There is only one source for finding directions for life. That source is the Bible. The Bible is a life book.
We examine this truth in the light of our text.
(1) There are two destinations. There is the way of life and the way of death. Deuteronomy 30:19 “I call heaven and earth to record
this day against you, I have set before you life and death,
blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and thy
seed shall live.” Proverbs 14:12 “There is a way which seemeth
right unto a man, the end thereof are the ways of death. “
(2) These lead in two directions. One way points above and the other
points below. It’s either heaven or hell. Matthew 7:13-14 “ Enter
ye at the strait gate, for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in
there at: because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which
leadeth unto life, and few there be that find. it.” Psalms 1:6 “For
the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the
ungodly shall perish.”
(3) There is a choice to be made. Our text says that the wise find the way of life. The foolish are not wise and constantly choose the
way of death.
* The way of life can only be found in the “Life Giver.” The giver of life is the Lord Jesus Christ. It is found only in Him and none other. The Bible offers a map to eternal life. Follow the directions and you shall live.
1. “The Way of Life” is to trust Jesus Christ. Our very nature says we are stalled and out of fuel, going down to hell fast and furious. Even the brakes will not hold. We must trust the guidance of the Lord or all is lost.
2. “The Way of Life” is to repent. John 5:40 “And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.” Repentance means to turn completely around. You must turn to Jesus in sincere repentance and believe that He carried your sins on the cross.
3. “The Way of Life,” is to completely rely on the Lord Jesus Christ and Him alone. Believing is one thing but relying on the Lord is the way to eternal life. The Devil believes and trembles.( James 2:19). We must completely
believe what Jesus said and act upon it. What is needed is faith. Believing
on Jesus is saving faith. Believe and rely on Jesus and you will receive life.
4. “The Way of Life” is to Have Communion With Jesus. There should be a continuing flow of life into our lives. The Lord is desirous to have fellowship with His children. Read His Word. He will talk to you. Then
talk to Him. He will listen and understand.
5. “The Way of Life” is to do what His Word tells us to do. Obedience is what is important. I Samuel 15:22 “Behold to obey is better than sacrifice and to hearken than the fat of rams.” When we receive light from God’s Word we are to act on it. Disobedience will hinder our progress .
6. “The Way of Life” is the Only Way to Heaven. John 14:1-3 “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself: that where I am there ye may be also.” When at the end of our natural life there will be joy and bliss in a new home in heaven. We can say with the song writer, “It will be worth it all when we see Jesus.”
* The wise person chooses the way of eternal life. That way there can be no guessing game on where you will spend eternity. Do it NOW and may the Holy Spirit give you assurance that you name is written in the Lamb’s book of life. Selah