Summary: WHEN FINISHING UP, NEHEMIAH OVERCAME OPPOSITION AND GAVE US A PICTURE OF CHRIST.
FINISHING UP – NEHEMIAH 6
As we have studied Nehemiah we have seen how Nehemiah has faced much opposition. Many times we think that there will come a time when there will be no opposition. We start a task and prepare for the enemy to attack, but many times near the end of the task we get defeated because we believe the enemy will leave us alone at the end. Studying scripture you will find some of the most difficult battles were fought right before the victory was given. The prime example is the cross and the garden of Gethsemane. Today we want to study what Nehemiah faced as he finished the wall. Remember what we said earlier, many times Satan doesn’t care if we start, if he can keep us from finishing
I. THE PLOT OF THE ENEMY TO KEEP NEHEMIAH FROM FINISHING
A. The Motives Behind Their Plot – John 10:10 (1)
1. To stop the progress.
2. To harm Nehemiah. ( This is the reason to pray for leadership)
(Look how many times fear is mention – 9,13, 14, 19)
B. The Methods of Carrying Out Their Plot.
1. The invitation to dialog. (2-4) ( Temptation for acceptance and compromise)
( James 4:7 – Flee from Satan)
2. The question of motivation (6-8) – (Temptation to defend self)
3. The suggestions from false council (10-14) – (Satan will always let someone around to give you advice)
4. The manipulation from those who wanted to prosper their own cause. (17-19)
( This reminds me of family ran churches)
II. THE POWER NEHEMIAH HAD TO OVERCOME THE ENEMY’S PLOT
A. He Had Holy Spirit Discernment –( 2, 12, 18,19)
1. He knew who the enemy was.
2. He knew the enemy never forsakes his mission.
B. He Had Personal Dedication – (3,4,9)
1. He knew his purpose. (3-5)
2. He knew how to pray. (9)
3. He knew the source of his protection. (10-11)
C. He Was Under Heaven’s Direction.
(Nehemiah had not intiated the work – God had)
1. He had proclaimed that God is King. (7)
2. He had proved that God is King (16)
III. THE PICTURE OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
A. This Story Shows Us the Picture of Christ’s Opposition.
1. His enemy’s motives were the same
2. His enemy’s methods were the same.
B. This Story Shows Us The Picture Of How Christ Overcame.
1. He had the discernment of the Holy Spirit.
2. He was dedicated to the Father’s will
3. He was directed by Heaven’s purpose.
Conclusion: Jesus warns us that we will suffer oppositon, but “Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.”