Summary: A prescription for faith building
FIVE KNOTS ON THE ROPE OF FAITH
6/1/08 Romans 4:17-25; 5:1 S__L__R__
1. Ever Climb a Rope Hanging From Gym Ceiling?
a. How did they get them up there?
b. Very bottom Knot – grab rope pull up – feet- stayed
2. Abraham – example of the faith life – perfect no!
a. perfectly forgiven – always moving on
1. “THINGS WHICH BE NOT” Vs. 17- 18
A. Promise Given
1. “I have made you a father”
a. Abram 100 yrs. Sarah 90 Yrs. – little too late!
b. No way, no how – no hanky panky left – Depends!!
2. “who makes alive the dead”
a. 3 x’s Paul in Eph & Col “dead in your sins”
b. Eve & Adam ate the fruit – Knowledge of God & Evil
i. born dead spiritually
c. John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
d. So startling Nic. “How can this be?”
B. Person Giving – “Him whom he believed, even God”
1. All religions believe what – Christianity believes Who!
a. Relationship vs rules & regulations
2. “I’m going to be a daddy!” – laughter – God said it!
3. It is God Who calls us to salvation & God who saves
a. He does it all – all I do is believe that He can
4. Father of child – demon possessed
a. Jesus asked him –“If you can believe – all things are Possible”
b. Father cried “Lord I believe – You help my unbelief
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
C. Power to Give “Who makes alive the dead”
1. Belief in a thing does not make it so
a. JJ – going to give me $1 million
1. based on his promise – burn home; give away
boat & vehicles – spend all my savings
2. what would you call me? “A Fool?”
2. God said ‘I will’ – Abram said ‘I believe’ - rest of story
a. 2 Timothy 1:12 (KJV)
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
2. “being not” vs. 19a
A. Continual State
1. keeps on being
2. not – no way- no how;
1. diseased – focus on your illness
2. impotent – no power to produce
3. feeble – to weak to do anything
C. ‘in faith’
1. persuasion – conviction – reliance - “In what?”
2. Not what but “Him whom he believed, even God”
3. “Considered Not”
A. Not Self Deception
1. Told God – “she’s old & I’m older”
2. Recognized some pretty good obstacles to over come
B. Self Determination
1. Would have been a lot easier if 9 mos. later; 10-15 yrs
2. I will not dwell on what I see/hear/feel – On God
3. Said it and that settles it! – why when God said
a. give me your son –Abraham sacrificed him
4. Knew that if God could give man & woman – 100 yrs
a baby – he could raise a dead boy from the grave!
4. Vs. 20 “Staggered not”
A. Did not Forget God’s Promise
1. Greek word – withdraw from – move away from
2. Its not going to happen - 1 John 2:19
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
3. Hesitate in or oppose
B. “Strong in faith”
1. Empowered in His Faith -
a. “Him whom he believed, even God
2. When his faith left the Promiser & went to the Promise
a. produced an Ishmael – nothing but problems
b. Arab world today
c. Ishmael always wants to replace God w/self!!!
C. “giving Glory to God”
1. Fifteen years – I am Abraham! –
a. looked around no children – snickers
b. Yeah! Right! Abraham!
2. Just smiled and gave the glory to God
a. Not my Idea – its His! If its His get ready!!!!
D. V. 21
1. “fully persuaded” – covered all over with
a. completely surrounded by
2. “what HE had Promised”
a. announce upon – more than just saying
b. honor was at stake – not Abraham’s but God’s
3. “He was able also to perform”
a. God whispers in your soul – he can do it