Summary: Every wondered why people don't tithe? This sermon explores five reasons people do not tithe.
“Faith and Finances: The Blessing of Tithing”
Been teaching a series called “Faith That Works”
Today we are going to look at “Faith and Finances: The Blessing of Tithing”
Text: 2 Corinthians 9
1There is no need for me to write to you about this service to the saints. 2For I know your eagerness to help, and I have been boasting about it to the Macedonians, telling them that since last year you in Achaia were ready to give; and your enthusiasm has stirred most of them to action. 3But I am sending the brothers in order that our boasting about you in this matter should not prove hollow, but that you may be ready, as I said you would be. 4For if any Macedonians come with me and find you unprepared, we—not to say anything about you—would be ashamed of having been so confident. 5So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to visit you in advance and finish the arrangements for the generous gift you had promised. Then it will be ready as a generous gift, not as one grudgingly given. 6Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9As it is written:
"He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever." 10Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
12This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.
Five Reasons why people don’t tithe:
1) Don’t believe it’s a New Testament principle
2) One can’t bring themselves to Trust God (lack of Faith)
3) The person doesn’t fear God
4) Haven’t been taught (ignorance)
5) Money is their God
# 1 - Don’t believe it’s a New Testament principle
Luke 11:42 (New Living Translation)
“What sorrow awaits you Pharisees! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.
1 Corinthians 16 (New International Reader’s Version)
1 Now I want to deal with the offering of money for God's people. Do what I told the churches in Galatia to do. 2 On the first day of every week, each of you should put some money away. The amount should be in keeping with how much money you make. Save the money so that you won't have to take up an offering when I come. 3 When I arrive, I will send some people with your gift to Jerusalem.
In Acts 2:45 and 4:32 the New Testament Church sold all of their possessions and gave them to one common treasury so that no one lacked anything.
Three Biblical Cases that Dismiss Tithing as an “Old Testament Only” teaching:
# 1 – Jesus encouraged it
# 2 – Paul encouraged it and was consistent in teaching it in more than one church
# 3 – The early church gave well beyond the tithe.
The second reason people do not tithe is….
# 2 – One Can’t Bring Themselves to Trust God (Lack of Faith)
• It IS scary to do something you have never done before.
• I remember the first time I tried a gainer…
• Malachi 3, God says 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it
• Church attendee came to his pastor. Pastor, I want to tithe, but I just don’t know if I have the faith…
The third reason people don’t tithe is….
# 3 – The Person Doesn’t Fear God.
• The fear of god is a concept that is almost completely lost in our culture today.
• Possessing this quality gives us long-life (Pr 10:27)
• It is the key to blessing (Ps 115:13) and prosperity (Ps 25:13) and fulfilled desires (Ps 145:19)
• Those who have this quality will lack nothing (Ps 34:9) and will be well fed (Ps 111:5)