Summary: Fast and pray to expand God's kingdom
A. FASTING FOR GOD’S GLORY
Pray after this manner:
“Lord, when I pray, I’ll follow this pattern: My Father in heaven, may Your name be holy, in my life on earth as Your name is holy in heaven. May Your kingdom come in my life on earth as Your kingdom rules in heaven. May Your will be done in my life on earth as Your will is done in heaven. Give me daily bread for this day. And forgive the consequences of my sin, as I forgive the sins of those who hurt me. Do not let me be tempted to do evil and protect me from the evil one, for You have the ability to answer this prayer. Let Your kingdom rule my life, may You get credit when these prayers are answered” (Matthew 6:9-13, The Prayer Bible).
THY PETITIONS PRAYING FOR GOD’S GLORY
“In Heaven” 1. Thy name be hallowed. Worship
2. Thy kingdom come. Guidance
3. Thy will be done. Yield
Semi-Conclusion: “On earth as it is in heaven!”
THE HINGE PRAYING FOR OUR PROVISION
4. Give us our daily bread.
US PETITIONS PRAYING FOR OUR SPIRITUALITY
“On Earth” 5. Forgive us our debts. Pardon
6. Lead us not into temptation. Victory
7. Deliver us from the Evil One. Protection
Conclusion: For God’s kingdom, power and glory.
B. FAST AND PRAY TO HONOR GOD’S NAME
1. Why is God’s name important?
a. Identity, who He is.
b. Nature, what He does.
c. Relationship, what He does for us.
d. Response, we must praise and worship Him because of His sovereignty.
2. What does “hallowed” mean? Holy.
3. What is worship? “Worship is giving God the worthship due to Him.”
4. The Lord’s Prayer is not about getting things from God, it’s relationship. Fasting is not about “good works” to convince God to answer us, it’s fellowship.
5. Both the Lord’s Prayer and fasting begin with a choice and lead to a vow.
6. What is God looking for as you fast and pray the Lord’s Prayer? Free choice. “Worship in spirit and truth” (John 4:24).
C. FAST AND PRAY TO EXPAND GOD’S KINGDOM
1. What do you acknowledge when you fast and pray for “God’s kingdom?” His ownership of your life.
2. What does God’s kingdom mean to you?
a. Authority, God rules.
b. Direction, God has plans and laws.
c. God’s glory, God has a purpose for His kingdom.
3. What are you seeking in this request? Personal, for God’s kingdom to rule your life as He rules heaven.
4. Remember the door into His kingdom. “Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of heaven” (John 3:3).
5. God’s kingdom does not exist here and now.
a. The king came. “He that is born king of the Jews” (Matt. 2:7).
b. The king rejected. “He came to His own . . . received Him not” (John 1:11).
c. The king crucified crowned with thorns and mocked.
d. The king is coming. “Heaven opened and behold a white horse and He sat upon him” (Rev. 19:11). “On his thigh . . . written, KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS” (Rev. 19:16).
6. Fasting and the Lord’s Prayer can bring God’s kingdom.
a. Evangelism. Souls won to Christ.
b. We grow gradually.
c. The future rapture and return of Christ.
7. Your response controls what happens today, but also determines what God does in the future.
D. FAST AND PRAY FOR GOD’S WILL TO BE DONE
Five Essential Facts About God’s Will
1. God has a plan for your personal life.
2. God’s plan is good for you.
3. You can find and know God’s plan now.
4. God will not force His plan on you.
5. Fasting the Lord’s Prayer can help you find God’s plan.
1. God expects us to find and know His will. Understand. “Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is” (Eph. 5:17).
2. NOW and CONTINUE. The phrase “Will be done” is aorist, i.e., point action. The Christian life begins with a big YES, and follows by a daily small yes. Surrender once and surrender daily.
3. Fasting and the Lord’s Prayer is a personal discipline that transforms us into dedicated disciples of Jesus Christ.
4. God’s plan comes in two ways. First gradually, like the dawning of a new day. Second, suddenly, like a light shined into a dark room.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.