Summary: The difference between disagreement & harmony
" I exhort Euodias, and I exhort Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord."
- Examples of Unity - Ecc. 4:9-12
I. Women’s Impact
1. Women were first preached too at Philippi. (Acts 16.12-15)
- They became the first believers in Europe.
2. Lydia was gracious to Paul’s needs
- Lydia continued to show him kindness Acts 16:40
II. Women Who Were Influential
1. “Euodia” means a “prosperous journey.” “Fragrant”
“ Syntyche” means a “pleasant friend.” “Fortunate ”
- Important to the church - Teachers or Deaconesses .
- They did not live up to the meaning of their names.
2. Disagreement affected the church
- Their differences could mar their influence and to shake the faith of new believers .
- Differences that could bring division
- Disagreement within the local body reveals a spiritual problem
- Only solved when your hearts are right with Christ
- Key - Submissive Hearts
III. Unity’s Importance
- Meaning: Being together Being One, In agreement
- Found 2 places in KJV
Eph 4:1-3 (KJV) also in ver 13
1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech (beg) you that ye walk worthy (live a life) of the vocation (calling, to the standard) wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness (humility) and meekness, (gentleness) with longsuffering, (patience) forbearing (tolerant, accepting) one another in love;3 Endeavouring (diligent, make every effort) to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond (bind yourself with) of peace
IV Unity’s Identity
1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! 2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;3 As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore
1. Unity Is Like Ointment (Perfume)
Mk 14:3 - Demonstrated by Mary Magdalene anointing Christ
- Perfume expression of love
- Women love receiving it as a gift
- Precious Perfume - released so that all may benefit
- Enjoyed by the one who it is upon and others who are influenced by it’s scent
- Poured upon Aaron the first High Priest
- Christ our last High Priest poured out to unite us to himself
- Extravagance in it’s outpouring
- Head beard & skirts
2 Unity Is Like Dew
a. Unity’s love is SILENT,
- Nothing in nature is more silent than the falling dew
- Genuine love is demonstrated.
- The deepest emotions are always the most silent
b. Unity’s love is IMPORTANT,
- As dew it refreshes all that it touches
- Renewing wilted life
c. Unity’s love is GODLINESS.
- Dew comes down from above.
- Real & true love comes down from God