Summary: Fifth in series on Following Jesus
Following Jesus - Hook, Line, and Sinker
October 23, 2005
These are my actual notes and sermon handouts and they probably mean more to me than they do to you. If you don’t understand something in my notes – feel free to e-mail me for clarification (firstname.lastname@example.org). Here’s some deciphering hints: I use hyphens (-) to separate key elements in a thought progression. I use quotation marks when I’m illustrating what some one in the congregation might be thinking or asking at that particular point in the message or to illustrate different character voices in an illustration. Bullets are springboards for thought progressions associated with main points in a thought.
"Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch."
INTRO: Last week – fishing / following Jesus – same thing – “catch men”
• Thought after that message – “Now go fishing!”
• Felt I should talk about this matter of fishing a little more.
• “Lord – what is your heart on this matter?”
• “How do you want me to communicate this truth?”
• The following outline began to materialize - had a lot of fun!
How many fishermen? – if went fishing on opening day – serious fishermen
• Remember exhilaration of first fish?
• Or first fish your kids caught or grandkids?
• Nothing quite like it – not everyone convinced…
Why some don’t fish…
1. They don’t know how. - never been
2. They don’t want to. - indifference
3. They don’t like fish. - fish smell
4. They are afraid of the water. – Fear
a. Might drown
b. Might catch too big a fish (shark)
c. Might run the fish off for everyone else.
Well, I want to fish some day I’ll get around to it…
1. No one ever drifts into a lifestyle of fishing. - No one ever drifts into a
lifestyle of evangelism.
2. There are more fish being born everyday than there are being caught. –
Jesus said the fields are white unto harvest.
3. The primary reason that people are not catching fish is that they are not
fishing. - Less than 5% of Christians ever lead one soul to Christ.
4. The two main reasons that people do not catch fish are:
a. Don’t know how / Don’t see any need to fish.
The two main reasons that people do not share their faith are:
a. Don’t know how / Don’t see the need.
5. We need to learn how to fish.
a. Formal lessons
b. On the job training
Don’t be like the guy who… “knows how to saddle up but never rides…”
I want to encourage you to begin to fish – if don’t know how – I’m going to cover that this morning – but that won’t do any good if don’t see the need…
N eed - See it.
When Jesus called to follow – called to fish – professional fishermen – but didn’t know how to catch men – nor why – something Jesus would teach…
Jesus’ _Stated_ purpose.
LK 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed
me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim
freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,
LK 4:19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor."n
• Good news that men could be reconciled to God.
• God’s design to catch men for Himself