Summary: This is a story about a rich man that made four mistakes and lost the most important possession he could have.
FOUR MISTAKES MADE BY A RICH MAN
Text: Matthew 19:16 – 26
• Mistakes – we all make them
• Some not as serious as others
• Wearing navy blue socks instead of black
• Forgetting to write down a $500 withdrawal in check book
• Look at four mistakes made by a rich man
A. Concerning his opinion of Jesus (v. 16a)
• He thought Jesus was only a man
• Matthew 16:13 – 17
i. John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, prophets
ii. Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God
• Jesus tried to get him to see who He was (v. 17)
• Not just a man, teacher, prophet, good example, godly man, but sinless Son of God
B. Concerning his understanding of salvation (v. 16b)
• He thought salvation came through works
• Ephesians 2:8, 9
• Not church, prayer, giving, volunteering, baptism, etc.
C. Concerning his view of himself (v. 20)
• He thought he was righteous
• Romans 3:10, 23
• Jesus listed 5 commandments, and another commandment that was a summary of 2nd tablet (all dealing with relationships with others)
• Left out 10th commandment (covet) and 1st tablet (dealing with relationship with God – no other gods before me)
• Not as righteous as he thought he was
• No matter how good you may be, you’re not good enough to make it to Heaven on your own
• Before you can be saved, must realize that you are lost
D. Concerning his lack of understanding (v. 22)
• He thought this life was more important than the next one
• I would get saved, but….
• Friends, family, job, lifestyle, habits
• He threw away his only chance
• Jesus makes a shocking statement (vv. 23, 24)
• The current belief was that those that were rich were rich because of God’s favor
• Camel and eye of needle – not a gate…impossible
• Not just impossible for rich….impossible for anyone who puts something before God
• Jesus makes the point that salvation comes from God, and we can do nothing to earn it or deserve it, only accept it when it is offered (v. 26)
• Who do you say Jesus is?
• What are you trying to do to earn salvation?
• How do you see yourself in relation to sin?
• What is keeping you from Christ?