Summary: This sermon, the third in the series of three, discusses the spiritual qualities that should be evident in a disciple’s life because of their walk with Jesus Christ.
The Discipleship of All Believers – Four Spiritual Qualities of a Disciple (Week Three) 11/16/2003
Introduction: We began our look two weeks ago at what is a disciple by looking at Mark 1:16- 18:
And as He walked by the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. Then Jesus said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men." They immediately left their nets and followed Him.
Remember what disciples are called to be:
1. Disciples are called to follow Christ and be fishers of men – Mark 1:16-18
2. Disciples are called to be a growing person, maturing in Christ – Ephesians 4:13-14
3. Disciples are Christian leaders called out to lead others in a new way.
a. The lost to a new life in Jesus Christ.
b. The new Christian to a fullness in Jesus Christ.
c. The mature Christian to greater walk with Jesus Christ.
Also, remember the five natural qualities of a disciple. Notice that these are natural qualities. These are not spiritual qualities or gifts. These are qualities that, with the help of God, we can develop in our lives. These are five qualities that are essential to being a disciple of Christ.
1. A Disciple knows his God designated priorities.
a. His relationship with God and his obedience to God comes first!
b. His relationship to his spouse is second only to his relationship with God!
c. His relationship with others comes second to these first two.
2. A Disciple has discipline to follow Jesus every day.
a. A Disciple dedicates himself daily to his following of Jesus.
b. A Disciple will deny his own self will to follow Jesus.
c. A Disciple will take up his Christian identity each day to follow Jesus.
d. A Disciple will discipline himself each day to learn from the teachings of Jesus.
3. A Disciple knows the reality of Jesus.
a. A Disciple is aware of people and circumstances around him and realizes that each is an opportunity to share the power, love and mercy of Jesus.
b. A Disciple looks at a situation and asks the question, “What can Jesus do for this situation?”
c. A Disciple not only asks the question, but believes that Jesus can make the difference.
4. A Disciple experiences empathy for those around him.
5. A Disciple lives a life of generosity.
Today, we’re going to look at four spiritual qualities that should be evident in the life of every disciple of Jesus Christ. These are the result of “following Him” and investing in His life.
I. Four Spiritual Qualities of a Disciple
A. A Disciple has Growing Faith – A Disciple believes not only in God but that all is possible with God!
1. Even the Disciples suffered from a faith that needed to be increased - And the apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith.” So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ’Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you. Luke 17:5-6
2. Paul spoke to the Corinthians in II Corinthians 5:7 about their faith, For we walk by faith, not by sight.
3. Jesus gave us the key in Mark 9:23, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes."