Summary: In order to carry the fragrance of the father with us everywhere we go, we need to deal with the coldness of our hearts and detach ourselves from the world and be good listeners.
Key verse Psalms 46: 10 be still and know that I am God.
Tommy Tenney, The God Chasers- The reason people who know you aren’t interested in your God may be because you don’t have enough of the presence of God in your life. There is something about God’s presence that makes everything else crumble in comparison. Without it, you will be just as pale and lifeless as everybody else around you. No matter what you do, without His presence, you will be “just another somebody” to those around you.
"I don’t know about you, but I am tired of just being ‘another somebody’ to the lost around me. I have made a decision. I made up my mind and set my heart to declare, ‘I am going to pursue the presence of God in my life. I am going to get so close to God that when I walk into secular and public places, people will meet Him.’ They may not know that I’m there, but they will definitely know that He is there. I want to be so saturated with God’s presence that when I take a seat on a plane, then everyone near me will suddenly feel uncomfortable if they’re not right with God – even though I haven’t said a word." I’m not wanting to condemn or to convict them; I just want to carry the fragrance of my Father with me.
How can we carry the fragrance of the Father with us everywhere we go? “Be still and know that I am God”
Before we get to this we to start at the beginning of our problem, go to the root, dig it up, and burn it.
I. We Need To Deal With The Coldness of Our Heart:
1. The coldness of our heart is a veil that shuts God’s voice out of our life.
2. The indifference to draw closer, the lackadaisical attitude towards spiritual advancement.
3. The thing that most people care about is themselves, they cannot look outside of themselves to see the needs of others or their own needs.
17You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.
5. A high percentage of people fail to see their own need, they are blind to it.
6. It takes other people show us of our need.
7. To open our eyes to the truth.
31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.
32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
9. Set us free from the coldness of our own hearts.
10. The mind set that we feel secure of heaven just because we go to church once a week.
11. When in fact our security of heaven is in a direct relationship to how much we strive to draw closer to Jesus and how much like him we become.
12. We are to always strive forward, reach higher, to go deeper spiritually than we were yesterday.
13. Today we just don’t care.
14. Philippians 3:3 - 4 (NIV)
3For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh—
4though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more:
15. Skip down to verse 7.
16. Philippians 3:7 - 9 (NIV)
7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.
8What is more; I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ
9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.
17. Skip down to verse 12.
18. Philippians 3:12 -15 (NIV)
12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.
13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,
14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
15All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.