Summary: AFFLICTIONS CAN COME TO A MAN FROM VARIOUS SOURCES AND FOR VARIOUS REASONS, BUT GODIS WILLING TO GIVE FREEDOM TO EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES AND CALL UPONHIM FOR LIBERTY.
FREEDOM FROM AFFLICTIONS
STUDY TEXT: Exodus 3:7-10
And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;
8 And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.
9 Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them.
10 Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.
- From these scriptures we can see four things God said here:
1. I have seen the affliction of my people.
- God can see every affliction of his people even when it is hidden from man.
- God can see the source, the people and the power behind the affliction.
- And because He can see, He will not be willing to forsake His people in their afflictions unless they are not willing to be free.
2. I have heard the cry of my people.
- God can hear every cry of his people due to pains and sufferings.
- God is aware of the reasons they cry and the people or power making them to cry.
- And because He can hear, He will not be willing to forsake His people in their crying unless they are not willing to be free.
3. I know the sorrow of my people.
- All the sorrow we bear due to whatever reason, situation or condition are well known unto God.
- The causes of our sorrows are known unto him and He knows the way out of them all.
- And because He knows, He will not be willing to forsake His people in their sorrow unless they are not willing to be free.
4. I will come down to deliver.
- God promises a 4-way deliverance for His people. Whatever the bondage, He has solution to each of them.
1. He will take away all the afflictions.
2. He will destroy all their oppressors.
3. He will wipe away all their tears.
4. He will take away their sorrows.
- After the deliverance is achieved, God promised to relocate them for blessings.
- We shall discuss this study under three sub-headings.
1. The classes of Affliction.
2. The causes of Affliction.
3. The cry for freedom from Affliction.
1. THE CLASSES OF AFFLICTION
1. Affliction on a killing mission.
- These are afflictions sent from the camp of the enemy to either kills or make the person close to a place of death.
- Some has a spirit of death chasing them about. I was preaching in a programme in Ghana by the grace of God sometimes ago, and God revealed a lady under the attack of a spirit of death, the power of God set her free and the arrow was returned back to the sender to die in place of her.
- Attacks by terminal sickness and diseases that come upon a man, stay for along time and latter kill the person.
- I have seen God healed many in situations like this. For instance a young Muslim man walked into one of our services and he had been told to prepare to die due to a terrible kidney disease, But God revealed that it was a satanic attack, and destroyed the yoke by His power. The man was healed and he and his wife got saved on that day.
2. Affliction on avenging mission
- This kind of affliction is sent to take vengeance against the evil seed sown by someone or his or her parents. Genesis 4:9-13
And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
10 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;
12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.
13 And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
3. Affliction sent against somebody’s peace or well being.
- This is the kind of affliction to make someone to be troubled continually and solution to problem like that is usually very difficult. Luke 8:43-48