Summary: Alternative Message for making New Years Resolutions that fail, rather making yearly to do list in increments of 3 month, 6 month, 9 month, and 12 month goals. Goals are easier to achieve than resolutions.
“Freedom from Resolutions”
You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
• Every year New Years Resolutions are made. Only 17% of people according to Time Magazine are kept. 73% of people break them within a week. Think about it..
• Resolution- is the act of resolving or determining upon an action, course of action, method, procedure, document etc., to resolve a decision or determination:
• Now you would think that since the very definition of resolution has the word “method” in it that, we Methodist would have it in the bag.
• Documents like a Living Will, or last Will of Testament, Marriage Licenses are Resolutions
• But so often people have a difficult time making a decision and standing behind their decision.
• Resolutions to stay committed to a marriage seem to have contingency plans tied into the,” Ill stay married to you till you make me mad, or you see something better come along. As long as I’ve been a pastor, I’ve done 36 weddings, and I have never seen a license with a stipulation page, or an attachment to it@!
• There are some reolutions that are needed in the matters of law but I believe that making resolutions for your life are more damaging than of a help.
• Think about it, you make a resolution to diet. And you fail. What do you do? You indulge yourself, go overboard
• Wind up deeper in the hole than what you were. You feel defeated, depression sets in.
• Life Resolutions set you up to fail. Resolutions set up unrealistic expectations. Resolutions bind you up just as the law had bound up God’s people and limited them.
• God doesn’t want to limit you; in who you are in Jesus Christ. God’s desire is to bestow his blessings on his people, but we tend to limit God’s moving.
• My challenge to you this morning is to stop making New years Resolutions instead make a News Year to Do List.
• There are a couple Biblical parameters when making a list so you can use these notes to construct your own.
Biblical Parameters for a New Years To Do List
1.) Keeping it Short and simple creates Freedom
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
• What makes your life free’er?
• To Do’s : Are they Factual, logical, simple, and attainable- Do you have the ability to do it?
• Yearly To Do List’s are not Bucket Lists
• Short ideas create long term plans
• Be simplistic with how you go about achieving your goals and that will create good habits
• For example: Stop drinking pop. Eat what you want. Don’t drink soda. It is simple, its short. Guarantee you will lose weight 15-20 lbs in 3 months. Try it .
• Pay off ONE Credit Card. Creates Freedom
• Don’t try to read the Bible in a year. The Bible will become a Resolution Curse and a dread, instead commit to a devotional.