Summary: This was presented around the 4th of July, but it's also a great thought for Veterens Day.
Freedom to Preach Jesus!
The Attack on Pearl Harbor December 7th 1941, lasted less than two hours, claimed the lives of more than 2,500 people, wounded 1,000 more and damaged or destroyed 18 American ships and nearly 300 planes. Almost half of the casualties at Pearl Harbor occurred on the USS Arizona, which was hit four times by Japanese bombers.
- 23 sets of brothers were killed on the USS Arizona
- A father and son serving together on the Arizona were killed that day also.
- They all died for something greater than themselves. The American dream, freedom from tyranny. The right to live as God intended, as a free moral agent.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” – The Declaration of Independence
1. A Warning about Reality!
B. What is on the mind of a person in torment? – Luke 16:19-31 (people he loves)
C. We enjoy the freedom the men at Pearl Harbor died for, and many, many more!
D. From the tomb of those battleships they cry out to us - Go teach my family the gospel!!! I gave my life for your freedom to preach Jesus!
2. Evangelism 101
A. Evangelize = Meeting the spiritual needs of others.
1. Spiritually 2. Socially Luke 2:52 & 2 Timothy 2:2
3. Physically 4. Mentally
B. God’s evangelism plan - 1 Thessalonians 5:14
1. Encourage – (edify) give them the Scriptures - Phil. 2:1-5 & Phil. 4:6-7
2. Equip – Help them reach inside themselves by creating opportunities for them to
3. Establish – Others are to see them as an individual! – 1 Timothy 4:11-16
4. Entrust – Give them spiritual responsibility! – 1 Peter 1:13-16
6. Exit – After they get it, they give it – 2 Timothy 2:2
3. End the Apathy
B. Quit closing your eyes to the problem! - Romans 13:11-14
C. The Fellowship of the Unashamed – Romans 1:16
On the day of judgment don’t face those great men and women who died for your right to freely preach Jesus to their families and say I was too much of a coward to speak up! I just didn’t have enough faith to say anything. As you burn alongside of heroes who never contacted to blood of Christ, and died for your freedom! - Rev. 21:8