Summary: This sermon will teach how a believer can be free from worrying.
Topic: FREEDOM FROM WORRYING
Text: Phil. 4:6-7
The word “anxiety” in the N.T. is also translated as “worry or care”.
1. The word has a legitimate usage: ex. Being concerned for another’s needs, for the welfare of the church, or in pleasing the Lord.
2. However, legitimate concerns can be handled wrongly:
They may lead to fear
They may cause us to forget God, altering our perspective in life.
They may become frequent – causing us to be constantly anxious over the future.
In our text it is this needless anxiety that is being referred to.
Proposition: As believers, it is God’s will that we live a worry-free life.
Transitional statement: The passage gives us TWO DIRECTIVES in learning to live a worry-free life.
I. TAKE HEED TO THE PROHIBITION – v.6
Two facts about the prohibition: “ Be anxious for nothing”
A. THE CONCEPT BEHIND THE PROHIBITION
The statement “be anxious for nothing” is in the present imperative. This means that the action is already going on and it has to stop.
It can be translated: “Stop worrying”
We must understand that the Philippians were facing distressing problems (1:28; 3:1, 4:1).... that most probably contributed to their anxieties and worries.
Paul was telling them to stop worrying about these things.
Believers must set themselves free from worrying. Worrying is like a virus that needs to be eliminated.
Its time to come out of the rut of a life of worrying. You must get rid of worrying in your life.
It is not God’s will for you to worry at all.
This is a command not an option.
B. THE COVERAGE OF THE PROHIBITION- “be anxious FOR NOTHING”
The word nothing means “not even one”
The believers must be completely (100%) free from worrying. Worrying must be totally eradicated.
Is there anything in your life right now that is causing you to worry?
It might be physical, financial, emotional, or spiritual in nature.
God does not want you to worry about any of them.
God wants you to free yourself from worrying about any of these.
II. TURN TO GOD IN PRAYER – v.6b-7
What Paul is saying here is that, instead of worrying, the believers
should be praying. It was like saying– “Why worry when you can pray?”
This is how we can free ourselves from worrying – PRAY!
We find three things about prayer in this passage:
A. THE EXTENT OF PRAYER – “in everything”
The word “everything” meant every burden that caused them to worry (the presence of their enemies, the imprisonment of Paul, the disunity in the church, and every other thing that caused them anxiety).
Paul is saying to them that instead of worrying, they should pray.
The believers must be praying instead of worrying. The best remedy for worrying is praying.
If there is something causing you to worry, why not tell God about it.
One hymn says: Tell it to Jesus, Tell it to Jesus…..
Quotation: “Talking to God about everything that concerns us is the first step to victory.” Warren Weirsbe
B. THE ELEMENTS OF PRAYER – “prayer, supplication, thanksgiving, requests”
These four terms explain to us what prayer is all about.
1. Prayer is Adoring God – this is the idea behind the word “prayer”. Prayer is about adoration, devotion and worship.
2. Prayer is an Acknowledgment of our needs – this is what “supplication” is about. Through prayer, we acknowledge that we have needs and problems.
3. Prayer is Appreciating God – This is what “thanksgiving” is about. This is appreciating God for His goodness.
4. Prayer is Asking God for specific needs – this is what the word “request” is about. It indicates the thing being asked.
Principles: Prayer is the best medicine for worrying. It frees a person from worrying by turning over his worries to God. It has a liberating effect.
1. When you find yourselves worrying, the best thing to do is to get alone with God and adore Him.
By adoring God, you will be able to see His greatness.
Your realization of who God is will be your best remedy for worrying.
2. Instead of worrying, why not acknowledge your needs and make them known to God.
I Peter 5:7 says: Casting all your cares upon him for He cares for you.
This is the best remedy for worrying.
3. Instead of worrying why not focus your mind on the goodness of God. Thank Him for the past blessings and future promises.
The best remedy for worrying is having a thankful attitude for everything that comes and happens in life.