Summary: Jesus is the only answer to Demon possion.
From A Sermon By Roger Griffith
From Death to Life
TEXT: Mark 5:1-20
INTRODUCTION: Today, I’m talking about what demons can do, what the Lord can do, and what you can do.This man was hurting. He was in terrible shape. He had demon troubles. Notice…
I. LOOK WHAT DEMONS HAVE DONE
A. WHO WAS THIS MAN?
1. We don’t know much about him-- somebody’s son.
2. He was undoubtedly someone’s relative.
3. He was probably somebody’s husband.
4. He was probably somebody’s daddy.
5. But, he was bound by demons!
6. Notice what the demons had done…
B. HE DWELLED AMONG THE DEAD (v.3)
1. He lived in the tombs.
2. The devil likes to keep you in the tombs.
3. The devil likes to have you hang out with those who
4. He wants them to influence you.
6. He wants them to drag you down.
Illustration: Fear - President and Mrs. Benjamin Harrison were so intimidated by the newfangled electricity installed in the White House they didn’t dare touch the switches. If there were no servants around to turn off the lights when the Harrisons went to bed, they slept with them on.
Jane Goodsell, Not a Good Word About Anybody, Ballantine
C. NO MAN COULD TAME HIM (v. 4)
1. Think about that.
2. Many people today: men and women, both young and
old who have a violence about them.
3. It seems that nobody can tame them.
4. Nobody can do anything with them.
5. They are intent on destruction.
6. That’s what the devil does.
7. That’s what demons do.
8. Notice what else demons had done.
D. HE WAS CONTINUALLY CRYING (v. 5)
1. The text says, he was always night and day in the
mountains and in the graveyard crying.
2. Have you noticed how many people cry today.
3. Tears stream down their faces.
4. They cry over what the devil is doing to their
5. They cry over what the devil is doing to their
6. They cry over what the devil is doing to their
7. The devil wants you to cry!
8. But God said I’m gonna wipe away all tears from
9. This man in our text was always crying in the
12. That’s what the devil had done.
E. HE ABUSED HIMSELF
1. Notice he was cutting himself.
2. There he was filled with demons and cutting
4. He wanted to destroy himself.
5. He didn’t feel like he was worthy to live.
6. The devil has convinced him thathe don’t have
any right to live.
8. If you don’t think you have any self-worth, It is a
lie from the devil.
9. You are precious in the sight of God,You’re the
King’s Kid (Jesus Christ)!!
10. That’s what the devil had done.
II. LOOK WHAT THE LORD HAS DONE
A. NOTICE WHAT JESUS CAN DO
1. This man saw Jesus afar off and the demons in him
cried out,"Don’t torment us before the time."
2. The demons were obviously afraid of Jesus.
3. Jesus commanded the demons to come out.
4. He said, What is your name?
5. The demons said, Our name is Legion, (A legion of
Roman soldiers was about 6,200 men.)
6. Imagine having 6,000 demons in your son, daughter,
husband, wife or whoever!
7. I’m telling you, Jesus is the deliverer.
Illustration: A fellow who had been reared in the city bought a farm and several milk cows. In the feed store one day he complained his best cow had gone dry. "Aren’t you feeding her right?" asked the store owner. "I’m feeding her what you’ve been selling me," said the man. "Are you milking her every day?" "Just about. If I need six or eight ounces of milk for breakfast, I go out and get it - I just let her save it up." The feed store owner had to explain it doesn’t work that way. With cow’s milk, like God’s presence, you take all that’s there, or you eventually have nothing.
10. Jesus commanded those demons to come out of that
man AND THEY CAME OUT!
B. NOTICE WHAT ELSE JESUS HAS DONE IN MARK 16:17
1. Jesus went back to heaven
2. But He said, "In my name you will cast out demons."
3. Demons won’t go out if I say in the name of the
Assemblies of God…
4. …the Baptist
5. … the Methodist
6. … the Presbyterians
7. …the Church of God
8. … the Nazerene
9. …the Four Square Church
10. Those may all be good names, but Demons don’t obey
11. There’s only one name they bow to and that’s the
Name of Jesus.
C. NOTICE HOW JESUS DID IT.
1. That man didn’t have to have a psychiatrist or a