Summary: - EXCRUCIATE: to cause great agony, torment - Latin : ex : out of, from cruciate: cross "from the cross" -Following OT prophecy to it’s fulfillment in the NT
1 Cor. 15:1-8, 12-22
Gen 1:3 - If the light is
It is because God said ‘Let there be light.’ so sad soul, take comfort, nor forget That sunrise never failed us yet.
- There is darkness before the sunrise
- EXCRUCIATE: to cause great agony, torment
- Latin : ex : out of, from cruciate: cross
"from the cross"
- His suffering started in Gethesemane - “Oil Press”
- Oil symbol of the HS
- The Garden - Where the Spirit of God was crushed
Lk 22:44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
- Agony - "engaged in combat"
- Hemorrhage from his sweat pores
(from extreme stress)
- Abandoned by man
1 Cor 15:3-4 - 2x - “according to the scripture
Death, Burial & Rose again
1. Death- Ge 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Ps 22:7-8 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
Ps 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Ps 22:18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
Ps 69:20-21 Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
Scourged & Beaten
- Whip with bone & metal attached (Jewish 39)
- Roman had no number
- Victim often died
Crown of thorns
- Likely cover whole head
- Thorns 1-2 inches long
- Head one of the most vascular areas for bleeding
Beard torn out
Is 50:6I Gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
Hung. on a cross for a whole day
- Suicide preferred as to crucifixion
- Nails 7’” x 3/8"
Abandoned by God
Speared - Roman thrust into his heart
2. Burial – Is 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
- Wrapped in a linen cloth.
- About 100 pounds of spices, mixed to
form a gummy substance,
- Placed in a solid rock tomb
- Large stone was rolled against the
entrance (two tons)
- Codex Bezae note Mk 16:4 (twenty
men could not roll it)
- Disciplined Roman guard stationed
- A Roman guard consisted of 16
soldiers, with a disciplined rotation for sleeping at night (every four hours, four would switch)
- Sealed with a Roman seal
- Breaking this brought down the wrath
of Roman law.
3. Resurrection - Ps 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
- Stone rolled uphill
- Guards would stop anyone at the tomb
- Entire unit would not fall asleep
- The empty grave clothes like the
empty chrysalis of a caterpillar’s cocoon
- Fearful disciples went back to
Jerusalem to share the good news
- No wonder we Remember the
- 1 Cor. 11:23-26