Summary: The life of Joseph. Many thanks for my preacher friend Chad West from the Northgate FWB Church for this outline.
GEN. 37:24 “FROM THE PIT TO PARADISE”
A) When a cowboy applied for an insurance policy, the agent asked him, “Have you ever had any
accidents?” * After a moment’s reflection, the applicant responded …….
* “Nope, but a bronco did kick in two of my ribs last summer, and a couple of years ago a rattlesnake bit
me on the ankle.” * “Wouldn’t you call those accidents?” replied the puzzled agent.
* “Naw,” the cowboy said, “they did it on purpose!”
B) That story reminds me of the biblical truth that there are no accidents in the lives of God’s people!
* Everything that happened to Joseph in his life was not an accident … It was God’s plan!
* God is in control of our circumstances … We are in control of our responses!
* I want to give you four things I see here in the life of Joseph …….
(1) HIS DREAMS PUT HIM IN THE PIT – V.20-24!
A) The Holy Spirit led Joseph in many ways, but chose to speak to him through dreams!
* In v.3-4, Joseph’s brothers hated him because of their father’s love and favor for him.
* Joseph had done nothing wrong … It was the actions of his father that had brought forth this hatred.
* And his father made for him a coat of many colors and presented it to him …….!
B) To make matters worse, Joseph shared his dreams with his brothers, and they hated him even
more – v.5! * Can I tell you today that not everyone is going to be in tune with God as you are?
* God gives us dreams to accomplish and as soon as we share it and make it known, there are people
waiting to oppose it and cause strife against it! * My dreams for RLCC … God has been good to us!
* Look where God has brought us from … A store front … Hayne St. (Topless Barroom) Centennial St.
* God has given us a coat of many colors … We have the favor of God!
C) Joseph told his dreams of his promotion to his brothers – v.6-8!
* Then he had another dream and told it to his father and his brothers – v.9-10 …….
* His father first rebuked him (probably because of the attitude of his other sons) …….
* But then, v.11 says that “his father observed the saying.”
D) But now, look at the consequences of his dreams – They put him in the pit – v.24!
* Here was Joseph, the favorite son of his father in a stinking pit, not placed there by some enemy, but
by his own brothers … Brothers, who cared nothing for him!
* Brothers who only a few moments before was conspiring to kill him. * v.25 sat down to eat … 42:21
* This teenager had dreams for the future, he felt in his heart that someday he would be important!
* But here he is in a pit, left there to perish with hunger and thirst.
E) Some of you this morning may be in the pit!
* Someone or something put you there, and there was nothing you could do about it.
* You thought everything in your life was going good.
* You may have achieved success, and life could not be any more satisfying.
G) The road of life was smooth and graceful, with just a few minor bumps along the way!
* But then, you found yourself in the pit, and you cried out to God, “God, what am I doing in this pit?”
* You lost your job, and you said, “God, what am I doing in this pit?”
* You come home and find a dozen messages on your phone from those you owe money to, and you
say, “God how did I get in this pit?”
* Your children are about to give you a nervous breakdown and you cry out, “God, what did I do to
deserve this pit?”
H) Some heavy trial comes along and you say, “God, what am I doing in this pit?”
* “I paid my tithes, I’m faithful to my church, I treat my neighbor right, I’m good to my children, I’m a
faithful husband or wife, why am I in this pit?”
* “I’ve got more problems than I know how to handle, why am I in this pit?”
I) Joseph may have also wondered why he was in the pit!
* What did he ever do to deserve being thrown into a hole in the ground?
* But God had everything in control! * Those dreams of his would surely come true!
J) Listen, when God places a dream in your heart, don’t let the pit stop you!