Summary: This is the 8th sermon in the series "Fruit Producers".
Series: Fruit Producers [#8]
FRUIT OF GENTLENESS
Galatians 5:22-23 says, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness…”
1. The fruit of gentleness is referred to in the KJV as “meekness”.
2. Most people mistake meekness for weakness; but Jesus Christ showed us differently.
3. Gentleness or meekness means to be gentle, tender, humble, mild, considerate, but strongly so. Gentleness has the strength to control and discipline, and it does so at the right time.
Gentleness Has A Humble State Of Mind
1. Gentleness has a humble state of mind; but this does not mean the person is weak, cowardly, and bowing.
2. The meek person simply loves people and loves peace; therefore, he walks humbly among men regardless of their status and circumstance in life.
3. Associating with the poor and lowly of this earth does not bother the meek person. He desires to be a friend to all and to help all as much as possible.
Gentleness Has A Strong State Of Mind
1. Gentleness has a strong state of mind. It looks at situations and wants justice and right to be done.
2. It is not a weak mind that ignores and neglects evil and wrong-doing, abuse and suffering.
3. If someone is suffering, gentleness steps in and does what it can to help. If evil is being done, gentleness does what it can to stop and correct it. If evil is running rampant and indulging itself, gentleness actually strikes out in anger. However, note a crucial point: the anger is always at the right time and against the right thing.
Gentleness Has A Strong Self-Control
1. Gentleness has strong self-control. The gentle person controls his spirit and mind.
2. He controls the lusts of his flesh. He does not give way to ill-temper, retaliation, passion, indulgence, or license.
3. The gentle person dies to himself, to what his flesh would like to do, and he does the right thing—exactly what God wants done.
1. A meek man forgets self and lives for others because of what Christ has done for him.
2. Jesus Christ showed His gentleness by coming to this earth, by being abused and misused, by being crucified, etc…
3. Is the fruit of gentleness evident in your life?