Summary: This is the 9th sermon in the series "Fruit Producers".
Series: Fruit Producers [#9]
FRUIT OF SELF-CONTROL
Galatians 5:22-23 says, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control”.
1. This last fruit of the Spirit really is like a fruit cocktail.
2. In order to have self-control, the other fruits have to be in place. If they are not then instead of self-control you will be out of control.
3. Since self-control is defined by the word itself, let’s apply this fruit to several aspects of our lives.
Your Mental Life
If we want to have self-control, we must prepare our minds for action. We do this by:
Guarding Your Mind
There are 4 things you can fill your mind with:
3. Brain food.
4. The Bible.
Never Stop Learning
If you are going to continue to learn you must have 3 attitudes:
1. The attitude of openness.
2. The attitude of humility.
3. The attitude of enthusiasm.
Your Physical Life
If we want to have self-control, we must honor God with our bodies. We do this by:
Developing A Healthy Attitude
There are 3 unhealthy attitudes you can have about your body:
1. You can reject your body.
2. You can perfect your body.
3. You can neglect your body.
Motivate Yourself To Change
There are physical and spiritual reasons to change:
1. I’ll feel better.
2. I’ll look better.
3. I’ll live longer.
1. God made my body.
2. Jesus paid for my body.
3. The Holy Spirit lives in my body.
Your Spiritual Life
If we want to have self-control we must train ourselves to be godly. We do this by:
4. Bible study.
7. Strengthening our faith.
1. If you want to have the fruit of self-control evident in your life, then you must have a balance in these 3 areas of your life.
2. If you are real fit mentally, but not spiritually you are not balanced. If you are real fit physically, but not mentally, etc…
3. Is this fruit evident in your life?