Summary: A Life lived in the Spirit will produce fruit.
Fruit of the Spirit
February 24, 2008 Evening Service
Immanuel Baptist Church, Wagoner, OK
Message Point: A Life lived in the Spirit will produce fruit.
Focus Passage: Galatians 5:22-25
Introduction: Errol Flynn’s mansion.
It’s one thing to overcome the flesh & not do evil things, but quite something else to do good things.
1The legalist will be able to say, "I don’t drink, smoke, run around", but can anyone see the beautiful grace of God in his life.
Negative goodness is not enough
There must be positive qualities as well
Fruit of the Spirit!
1. Love – agape - First for a reason! God is love (1 John 4:8), the greatest of these is love (1 Cor. 13:13), they we know we are Christians by our love (John 13:35). All of the other qualities are birthed out of love. A person with a habitually unloving spirit toward his fellow Christians is reason to question his salvation. “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. John 4:7”
2. Joy – holy optimism – inward joy isn’t effected by life’s circumstances. “And the disciples were continually filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.” Acts 13:52
3. Peace – love and joy get married and have a child named “peace”. Mentioned 80 times in every NT book. Peace with God, family, coworkers, church members, neighbors, “And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil 4:7
4. Patience – Literally “Long suffering”. Describe God’s anger: God is slow to anger. Patience is putting up with people even though you are tired of them. “With all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love” Eph 4:2
5. Kindness – an attitude – nothing to do with weakness or lack of conviction, but has everything to do with the desire to treat other kindly. “The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged” 2 Tim 2:24
6. Goodness – Love in action. Kindness & goodness is how we pull off patience! “For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die.” Romans 5:7
7. Faithfulness – dependable, loyal, trustworthy. A person who would die for his faith. It needs to translate into every area of life: marriage, job, church, school, etc. “His lord said to him, Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful over a few things; I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.” Matthew 25:21
8. Gentleness - meekness – meekness doesn’t mean weakness. Moses and Jesus were meek; were they weak? The meek Christian doesn’t throw his weight/authority around to get his way. "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.” (Matthew 11:29)
9. Self-control - Self-control is the fruit that grows when Christ comes to live in a heart that allows that heart to live & walk in the world, yet keep unsoiled from the world.