Summary: It is time to examine your ministry. We are fulfiling the ministry that God has called you into?
Fulfill Your Ministry
1. Encouraging Timothy to do the work of an evangelist...
a. Paul charged him to "fulfill your ministry" - 2 Tim 4:5
b. That is, "fulfill in all its requirements, leaving nothing
2. A similar charge was given to Archippus...
a. "Take heed to the ministry which you have received in the
Lord, that you may fulfill it." - Col 4:17
b. The Greek suggests "that thou keep on filling it full. It
is a lifetime job."
[The charge given to Timothy and Archippus is one that should be heeded by all Christians: "Fulfill Your Ministry". "But do I have a ministry?" one might ask. Yes, indeed, and therefore...]
I. WE NEED TO FIND OUR MINISTRY
A. GOD HAS GIVEN MANY GIFTS...
1. To each one God has given gift(s)
a. He has given to each one a "measure of faith"
- Rom 12:3
b. We each have gifts "according to the grace that is
given us" - Rom 12:6a
2. Not all have the same gift(s)
a. Not every member has the same function - Rom 12:4
b. We have "differing" gifts - Rom 12:6-8
1) E.g., prophecy, ministering, teaching, exhorting
2) E.g., giving, leading, showing mercy
c. For God’s grace is "manifold" - cf. 1 Pet 4:10
B. EVERY GIFT OR MINISTRY IS IMPORTANT...
1. All are important for the body to be complete
a. None can say they are unimportant - 1 Cor 12:14-20
b. None can say others are not needed - 1 Cor 12:21-25
2. All are needed for the body to grow
a. Growth come from the head, Christ - Eph 4:15-16a
b. Also by the effective working of each part, doing its
share - Eph 4:16b
1) Otherwise the body is handicapped in service
2) Otherwise the body is hindered in growth
C. FINDING YOUR MINISTRY...
a. Consider your natural abilities
1) Are you gifted in hand, speech, or heart?
2) Some gifts are better suited for certain services
3) Your natural abilities may suggest how God wants
you to serve
b. Consider your opportunities
1) Were you called early in life, late in life?
2) Were you called with skills already developed?
3) Your circumstances when you obeyed the gospel may
Suggest areas of service - 1 Cor 7:18-24
a. Develop your abilities
1) Not all abilities are self-evident; seek to
develop as many as you can
2) As your abilities become evident, seek to excel in
Them - Ezra 7:10
b. Utilize your opportunities
1) Opportunities as provided by the Lord –
2) Opportunities to even change your circumstances –
1 Cor 7:21
a. Seek wisdom to discern your abilities
1) Wisdom comes through prayer - James 1:5
2) Wisdom is given to those who so diligently seek it
b. Seek open doors to use your abilities
1) The Lord often opens doors to serve Him –
1 Co 3:5
2) We might also pray for opportunities to serve Him
1 Chr 4:10
a. Commit your ways to the Lord
1) Present yourself and your plans for service to the
Lord - Prov 16:3
2) Let your attitude be like that of Isaiah –
b. Make yourself available to the brethren
1) Minister your gift(s) to your brethren –
1 Pet 4:10
2) Follow the example of the Hebrew Christians –
II. WE NEED TO FULFILL OUR MINISTRY