Summary: (The Reality of Being a Born-Again Christian, One of the SAVED!) OUR RELATIONSHIP TO GOD THE FATHER
A. Foreknown of God.
1. Romans 8:29 "For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."
B. Chosen by God.
1. 1 Pet 1:20 "He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake."
2. Acts 2:23 "This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross."
3. Amos 3:2 "You only have I chosen of all the families of the earth; therefore I will punish you for all your sins."
a. God knows everything both actual and possible. He knows the beginning from the end. He is omniscient. He knows what choices you will make. God foreknew you because He determined to save us in spite of our future sins and failures which He has known from eternity past.
4. 1 Pet. 1:2 "who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance."
5. Acts 15:18 "that have been known for ages."
a. God’s foreknowledge is certain because it is based upon His decree or will to act. He decreed that Jesus would die according to His will or counsel.
1.Eph 1:5-6 "he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves."
a. Predestination is not used anywhere in the Bible to denote a predestination of a person to Heaven or Hell. It is a term used only to guarantee the future destiny of a child of God. God has determined that every Born-Again Christian will one day come into the full position of ‘sonship.’
2. 1 John 3:2 "Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as He is."
3. Romans 8:23 "Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the first-fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies."
a. Adoption means to be put into the position of a son. (We shall be changed). Predestination means we shall be like Him. Within Gods decrees it is certain, He did predestine. Time awaits the fulfillment in our experience. The ultimate goal is the glory of His grace.
D. One of the "Elect."
1. John 15:16 "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. John 15:19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."
2. Eph 1:4 "For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight."
a. God has chosen us out of the world of lost guilty sinners. This choice was made in eternity past. The purpose of God's choice was our perfect standing before Him.
3. Romans 8:33-34 "Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died more than that, who was raised to life is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us."
4. 1 Pet 1:2 "who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by His blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance."
a. Negatively, we are without blame. Our sins have been forgiven and the guilt of sin has been pardoned. Positively, we are holy in position because we are completely covered by the righteousness of Jesus. Our election is according to Gods foreknowledge.
5. Romans 9:10-13 "Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad in order that God's purpose in election might stand: not by works but by him who calls she was told, "The older will serve the younger." Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."
6. Titus 1:1 "Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of God's elect and the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness."