Summary: OUR RELATIONSHIP TO GOD, THE HOLY SPIRIT
A. Begotten of the Spirit. (Born Again).
1. John 3:5-8 "Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
a. The difference between natural birth and spiritual birth is spiritual birth gives spiritual life.
2. 1 Peter 1:23 “For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.”
a. The Holy Spirit, or the incorruptible seed is the source of the new birth. The word of God, the Bible, is the means by which the Spirit makes the new birth.
3. John 1:12-13 "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."
a. We become children of God. We are not born that way. Like begets like. An eternal God begets eternal children. In the human family conception and birth are not dependent on the baby, but on the parents. So it is with God.
B. Washed in the Rebirth.
1. Titus 3:5 "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost." (KJV)
a. This washing took place at the Cross through the shed blood of Jesus.
2. 1 Cor. 6:11 "And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."
a. Paul said you were (past tense) washed. This is a once for all experience.
3. John 13:8-10 "No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet." Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me." Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!" Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you."
a. Jesus used different words here to say that in order to have fellowship with Him one doesn't need to repeat the complete bath of the new birth. He only needs daily cleansing of his soul that becomes dirty by walking in a sin cursed world. This is why Jesus said that eleven of them were clean (saved through the complete washing of the new birth), but not Judas who had never experienced the new birth.
b. The need of a sinning Christian is not to be reborn all over again, but to experience the daily cleansing through confession of the sin.
C. Baptized in the Holy Spirit.
1. 1 Cor. 12:13 "For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free and we were all given the one Spirit to drink."
a. We are not only identified with the Holy Spirit, but with all Christians as well.
2. Acts 1:5 "For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
a. We have been permanently immersed in the Holy Spirit and forever enclosed by Him.
D. Given the Guarantee of the Holy Spirit.
1. 2 Cor. 1:22 "set His seal of ownership on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, <guaranteeing> what is to come."
a. He is in the hearts of all Born-Again Christians guaranteeing our inheritance. It is like an engagement ring that signifies the promise of marriage. It is an advance payment for things to come.
2. Eph 1:14 "who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession to the praise of his glory.
E. Sealed with the Holy Spirit.
1. 2 Cor. 1:22 "set his <seal> of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come."
2. Eph. 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."
a. A seal is a sign of ownership and authority.
3. 2 Tim. 2:19 "Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."