Summary: This lady had been a believer early on and let her faithfulness to the LORD slide. Yet, she exhibited many biblical principles in her life.
Family Enters -- "Amazing Grace"
1. The Funeral is a universal custom. It is our attempt to:
c. Offer Comfort
2. Funerals remind us of:
a. The Certainty of Death (Ecclesiastes 9:5)
b. The Shortness of life (James 4:14) -- this was a shocking death -- should not have happened
c. The Shortage of life (John 10:10)
1) How much do we waste on the trivial?
2) There is power in priority!
d. The sovereignty of God and Reality of Eternity.
3. The truth is, we preach our funerals by the way we live.
Song: Get Where You Are Going
Song: Down to the River
After visiting with the family Saturday, I started thinking about what Janette might say to us if we could interview her today.
I. Life Is Hard -- Deal with It!
"Man who is born of a woman is few of days and full of trouble.
2 He comes out like a flower and withers; he flees like a shadow and continues not. Job 14.1-2
A. Preparation in Childhood
1. 1 of 4 siblings that were born within 5 years of each other
2. Numerous work-related moves [Johnny -- 12 schools in his first 6 years
3. Little food -- fried potatoes and beans
4. Strong parental discipline (which loosened with the later children) -- The threat to "cut off fingers for stealing" made an impact -- parents worked hard for their money -- would not tolerate theft
B. Living it out in her own Family
1. Working 2-3 jobs to make ends meet with little sleep
2. Evident in the stockpiling of food and supplies for emergencies or to share with someone who had a need -- she was observant of people's favorite things and made sure those were on hand in her various food storage closets
3. Independent -- not willing to be a victim
a. Learned to garden with the aid of the Farmer's Almanac
b. Even learned to rebuild a car engine
C. Dealing with hearth issues
1. 27 years of heart problems
a. 5 By-passes -- not expected to live past 40 -- but she did
b. Motivated to have the surgery to care for grandchildren
2. Jesus knows our struggles -- woman with the issue of blood (Luke 8.43-44)
II. Life is Best When it is About Others -- Serve Them
A. Janette was described as:
1. A Private person with a big heart; in spite of troubles with her physical heart
2. Tender; soft to everyone (gave people a sense of relief) -- even tender to animals, having 3 dogs and 3 cats
B. Janette Showed hospitality (one of the great virtues in the bible)
1. Seen in taking in "strays" -- not animals but people in need of mothering or of help she could give -- she always made a place in her home
[Jesus -- Matthew 25 -- I was a stranger and you took me in, etc.
2. She was a "worrier" in that she worried about taking care of others and lifting their loads -- this is where she felt greatly useful
4. Serving like Jesus -- John 13
III. Life's Key is Family -- Love One Another
A. Affectionate in her words -- "I love you" as well as her actions
B. Family was crucial to her
1. Connected on FaceBook with cousins to plan family get togethers
2. Dreamed of owning a Bed and Breakfast in Montana where her whole family would live and work
[Insula -- as Peter's House in Capernaum
"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way where I am going." 5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. John 14.1-6
C. She wanted a clean house -- the "not lived in" look
1. Made her bed -- slept on the couch
2. Children learned that it was easier to make their beds and sleep on top of the covers under a blanket than to continually remake the bed
D. Imitated her Mother, Velma
1. A "Lady"
2. A good goal -- virtuous woman of Proverbs 31
3. Increased her reaching out to family after Velma's passing