Summary: Gender Differences, Worship & the Glory of God (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com)
• Key thought:
• “Honour your head” (vs 3)
• Principle #1:
• Honour your head for the sake of biblical teaching (vs 3-6)
• Principle #2:
• Honour your head for the sake of creation (vs 7-11)
• Principle #3:
• Honour your head for the sake of nature (vs 7-12)
• Principle #4:
• Honour your head for the sake of apostolic authority (vs 16)
Difference Between Men and Women:
• A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
• A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.
• A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.
• A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
• To be happy with a man you must understand him a lot & love him a little.
• To be happy with a woman you must love her a lot & not try to understand her at all.
• Any married man should forget his mistakes;
• There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.
• Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
• Women somehow deteriorate during the night.
• A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't.
• A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change & she does.
• A woman has the last word in any argument.
• Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
• There are 2 times when a man doesn't understand a woman ;
• Before marriage & after marriage.
• TRANSITION: Men and women are different;
• And as the saying goes, “Viva La Difference!”
• A movie producer once asked the actor Spencer Tracey;
• Why he insisted on always having top billing over Katherine Hepburn.
• The producer said; “After all she’s the woman and you’re the man. Ladies first.”
• Spencer Tracey replied; “This is a movie, not a lifeboat!”
• TRANSITION: The respective roles of men and women have long been debated;
• Whether in movies, or in lifeboats or in Church.
• In this chapter we are going to look at what the apostle Paul says;
• On matters of gender roles in the Church of God.
• That First Corinthians chapters 11 to 14, begins a new section in his letter.
• In these four chapters the apostle Paul’s concern;
• Is how God’s people conduct themselves in a church worship setting.
• The word “church” (‘ekklesia’) appears 13 times in these chapters.
• And in these four chapters the apostle Paul will discuss three primary issues:
• They are:
• Gender distinction – the different roles of men & women (chapter 11 verses 2-16),
• The Lord’s Supper – Communion (chapter 11 verses 17-34),
• And spiritual gifts (chapter 12 verse 1 to chapter 14 verse 40)
• One of the biggest problems in the Church at Corinth;
• Was disorder in public meetings.
We have commented in previous weeks that: