Summary: Making a Choice - The two ways of man.- The happiness of the righteous & The desperation of the wicked. - Blessed – Happy, Desirable
- Instruction Manual to get the most our of your product
- You need to know the model
Gen 1:26-27 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after
our likeness: …. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
- Register your device to secure that model
Types of Psalms – Praise, Thanksgiving, Prayer, Messianic, Lament, Wisdom
- Wisdom Psalms tends to contrast choices we make
- The psalmist declares the superiority of God & His ways
- Wisdom has to do with living depending God & His Word
Examples include: 1, 10, 12, 15, 19, 32, 34, 36, 37, 49, 50, 52, 53, 73, 78, 82, 91, 92, 94, 111, 112, 119, 127, 128, 139
Psalm 1 Making a Choice
- The two ways of man.
- The happiness of the righteous & The desperation of the wicked.
Blessed – Happy, Desirable
Eph 1:3 AV
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
Ps 1:6 Knowing this - “the way of the ungodly shall perish”
• God made man for happiness.
• Every man feels a desire to be happy.
• Happiness is the pursuit of men.
• All human beings abhor misery.
- 1970’s commercial - You only go around once and you got’a grab for all the gusto you can, even in the beer you drink
- Webster (gusto) enthusiastic and vigorous enjoyment
- Live without regard to God
- Live unshackled by thoughts of God and find the fun!
-We live in an age of instant gratification
- Everything is bought on time
- The God-devoted person is miserable!
- Not so according to the Bible
Proverbs 1:22 (AV)
22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
Luke 12:19–20 (AV)
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20 But God said unto him, Thou fool…..
Luke 12:19 (The Message)
19 and I’ll say to myself, Self, you’ve done well! You’ve got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!’ 20 But God said unto him, Thou fool….
Time will prove the psalmist to be correct.
The psalmist unfolds the happiness of the righteous along three lines.
Ps 1:1-Growth Pattern
He walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly,
• Without God,
• Ungodly translated wicked means to be wrong, unjust, or guilty, either to condemn as guilty or to act wickedly.
• Ungodly – Forgetful careless lives
• Pursuing his dreams, goals, & plans but not God
• Disrespect, Denying, Disobeying God
Nor standeth in the way of sinners,
• Results in excepting sin
• By his lifestyle he hinders Christ’s work
Nor sitteth the seat of scornful
• Rebellious to God - Approves of sin
• Mocks Christ the church & scripture
• Antagonistic to Christianity
Watch Young Children Grow.
At first their attempts to stay upright without slumping over.
- Then we get excited when they learn to crawl and pull themselves up to stand.