Summary: If we want to see God bring a revival to the church, we must walk in humility, pray bold prayers, hunger after God, and turn from sin.
GETTING READY FOR REVIVAL
INTRO TO TOPIC:
Do you ever ask yourself: Is this as good as it gets? Is Christianity just about coming to church and singing songs and hearing stories about what God did in the past? Or is there more?
QUOTE: Leonard Ravenhill said, “There was a time when people went to church to meet with God. Now they come to church to sing songs and hear stories about Him.”
“The glory of this latter temple shall be greater than the former.” (Haggai 2:9).
• The Lord declared that the glory of the latter church would be greater than the former.
• We’re not there yet! Look at the early church:
o They were a close-knit family of believers, extravagantly generous with their lives
o Thousands were saved in a day; signs and wonders and miracles were common
• My prayer today is, “More, Lord!” I want to experience everything God has for us!
THE BIG IDEA: If we want to see God bring a revival to the church, we must walk in humility, pray bold prayers, hunger after God, and turn from sin.
WHAT IS REVIVAL: Chayah: sustain life, be restored to life or health; cause to grow; restore.
“Will You not revive us again, That Your people may rejoice in You?” (Psalm 85:6).
“O Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years!” (Habakkuk 3:2).
• Two kinds of revival in the Bible: Personal and corporate - the church.
• Something that’s alive and healthy will be growing and bear fruit!
• When we are revived, we will be ‘juicy fruit’ Christians – full of the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control).
SIGNS THE CHURCH NEEDS A REVIVAL:
When the people of God are easily offended; easily gossip; compromise with and justify sin; act and talk just like the world, put sports over God’s house, neglect prayer and Bible reading…
AN EXAMPLE: THE WELSH REVIVAL OF 1904:
- 1904 - 26 year old ‘youth intern’ Evan Roberts had prayed for revival for 11 years.
- felt God was going to pour out a mighty spirit of revival on Wales - prayed, Bend me, O Lord!
- pastor led him speak following a prayer meeting, only 17 stayed, mostly youth & young adults.
- all ended up at altar crying out to God until 2 am. That week, 60 people were saved,
- next 1 1/2 years = revival in Wales, 100,000 people saved.
- changed national culture - bars & liquor stores shut down; entire police force dismissed
- would pray from 1-5 am; prayer meetings were multiplied (2,000 in a meeting).
WHEN REVIVAL FIRE FELL:
“1 When Solomon had finished praying, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the Lord filled the temple. 2 And the priests could not enter the house of the Lord, because the glory of the Lord had filled the Lord's house. 3 When all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the Lord on the temple, they bowed their faces to the ground on the pavement, and worshiped and praised the Lord, saying: "For He is good, For His mercy endures forever…” (2 Chron. 7:1-3).