Summary: This sermon gives a better understanding of spiritual gifts. How and why are they given and to who. With God’s help we can discover, develop, and deploy our gifts.
1 Cor. 12 1-11
I. GIFTS ARE GIFTS, NOT REWARDS
A. They are not the result of holiness
B. The church at Corinth, notoriously unholy, but abounded in gifts (1 Cor.1:7)
C. Gifts are dispensed by the Holy Spirit “as He wills” (1 Cor. 12:11b)
II. EVERY CHRISTIAN HAS GIFTS (Eph. 4:7; 1Pet.4:10; 1 Cor. 12:11)
A. But they differ
B. They differ in kind, purpose, results, and measure (1 Cor.12:4-6,11; Eph 4:7)
III. INDIVIDUAL GIFTS ARE GIVEN FOR THE WHOLE:
A. 1 Cor. 12:7, 14-31
B. All are important and needed by the body (1 Cor. 12:11b)
IV. EACH CHRISTIAN SHOULD CULTIVATE THEIR GIFT
A. By discovering, developing, and deploying them
B. Rom. 12:3-8 tells how
1. (v.3) evaluate honestly; examine, test, consult with others
2. (vs. 4-5) recognize how each gift helps the body
3. (vs. 6-8) use the gift in practical applications with God’s help
Conclusion: Practical points for the use and development of our gifts
1. Stop trying to do what you don’t have the gift for.
2. Discover, develop and live up to your giftedness.
3. Find the proper place to use your gift.
4. Be thankful for your gift, and not envy someone else’s.
5. Don’t be proud; it’s not you that’s doing