Summary: A look now at ’manifestations of the Spirit’ and the first three mentioned: word of wisdom, word of knowledge and faith
Gifts of the Spirit 4: The Word of Wisdom, word of Knowledge and Faith. 1 COr 12:7-9 WBC 12/9/4 pm (Read vs 1-11)
Robin explained well last Sun pm
- different kinds of Gifts (lit gifts of grace)
- service. God enables people to serve differently
- workings: lit ¡¥energentia¡¦. Ie energisings, empowerments to do work
means: many different ways in which you can serve God, build the body, bring the spiritual dynamic.
- lists stacks of examples (not exhaustive) in these passages
o very diverse. Not exhaustive
- and the HS is behind them all.
o The gk mystery religions would have told them different powers and spirits
MANIFESTATIONS OF THE SPIRIT
Now he moves of to a new word. Manifestations of the spirit
- applies to all three: gifts, services and empowerments
- means literally ¡¥appearings¡¦, ¡¥showings¡¦ of the Spirit
- ¡¥manifestations¡¦ = good word
So, in the body of Christ, the Holy Spirit manifests, shows Himself, in someone. His presence becomes ¡¥evident¡¦. And
- a gift of grace is given (ie a healing)
- someone goes on to serve
- someone is energised to work
- * it covers a whole range of things
And all because the HS has ¡¥shown up¡¦
- which should and DOES happen in a spiritual dynamic
So, here it is NOT talking specifically about someone who has a ¡¥gift¡¦ (ie prophecy)
- = the manifestation (gift?) has THEM
- = about spontaneity
- = orchestrated by the Spirit. As He wills (v11), determines
- explains what happens in the spiritual dynamic among spiritual people (pneumatikon, v1)
o here and now
But, v27 f- someone can go on to move so regularly in these manifestation that they are said to have
- ¡¥the gift¡¦- (of healings, prophecy for example)
- ¡¥the office¡¦ ¡V (of healer, apostle, prophet. For example)
This might answer the question: I keep having these manifestations, God DEFINITELY shows up, but people aren¡¦t healed every time
- that¡¦s okay. You are just having the manifestations of the HS¡¦s presence. It doesn¡¦t mean you have the gift or office, yet
o that might come. Time will tell.
o Right now: God¡¦s just showing up: that¡¦s enough, and a good start.
FOR THE COMMON GOOD
This is a real eye opener
The manifestation is not the end. Goal. Measurement.
- Illustr: Nigeria. Manifestation = enough for them! Why?
o Maybe wrongly, to them manifestation = measurement (won¡¦t wash to western mind)
o Probably rightly- they have realised that manifestation is synonymous with RESULTS! Fruit!
But actually, here, the manifestation is not the main thing or measurement
- it¡¦s whether it ends up being for the common good that is
o then you¡¦ve hit target
o ¡§the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good¡¨
Seriously: how often do you hear that preached? Hardly ever
- = ¡§the manifestation of the Spirit is for YOU. He comes to bless YOU¡¨
Maybe that¡¦s why we miss out. It vanishes like dew.
- we have not understood the ways of the Spirit. Pneumatikon
You see, a manifestation can be given, but dissipated, diverted or distracted by us as channels
- hence being a ¡¥spiritual person¡¦ is very important