Summary: A balanced look at the gifts and use of prophecy and tongues.
GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT 9: PROPHECY AND TONGUES. 1 COr 14:1-12 WBC 17/10/04am
You know- this (love ) really is the most important thing
- many love the 1 Cor 13 bit- as a poem
- as a kind of ¡¥add on¡¦, ¡¥balancer¡¦
But it¡¦s not
- this is SCRIPTURE!
- and it really IS true- you can have all the gifts available and be the pumping, happening, church or individual
o but you¡¦re wasting your time if you haven¡¦t got love. Really
o The gifts will either go to your head
„X as an individual
„X or as a church
That¡¦s my experience after 15 years of making many mistakes in these areas as a Pastor
- I¡¦ve seen countless individuals, pastors, congregations hurt and torn to bits by
o The restlessness to have the ¡¥latest¡¦. Trend or ¡¥gift¡¦
o The power without the love. 2 rails for the train
Basically because people put the Gifts of the Spirit above the gift of love
- Could give you so many examples! I meet them weekly
o But you don¡¦t need examples, do you?!
o ¡§You¡¦re not in step with the Spirit (ie trend!) therefore¡K.!¡¨
But this book says:
PHP 2:1 If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4 Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Follow the way of love, Paul says
But there can be an equal error¡K extreme¡K in this direction, as well
- it¡¦s a shameful cop-out, really
- = ¡§we have the greatest gift, love, so we don¡¦t really need this other immature stuff¡¨
Sounds a bit proud, to me. A bit ¡¥above what God says¡¦
EAGERLY DESIRE (V1b)
This passage says we are to eagerly desire ¡¥spiritual gifts¡¦
- again, it¡¦s not literally ¡¥spiritual gifts¡¦- it¡¦s that ¡¥pneumatikon¡¦ word
Nope- we are to eagerly desire:
- the dynamic of the Spirit. Dynamism.
- Spiritual things
- To be people of the Spirit, w ho move in the power and things of the Spirit
It¡¦s not ¡¥either/or¡¦, it¡¦s ¡¥both/and¡¦
So-let me ask you. Do eagerly desire the Lord to be spiritually and dynamically present? Here and in your life?
- or do you want an undynamic, unspirtual faith, church, pathway?
o What¡¦s the point of that, then?!
- And be aware- Paul comes down on it v hard. He ranks such an attitude along with pride, unholiness, brutality, conceit, love of self when he says that in the last days people will have these things as well as ¡¥having a form/show of godliness abut denying its power¡¦ in 2 Tim 3:5
„« Eagerly desire!
And then he gives one example of a gift that is so encouraging to this ¡¥spiritual dynamic¡¦- particularly when used in the way of love
- the gift of prophecy
THE GIFT OF PROPHECY (V3)
But what is it? What is prophecy?
- v3 gives a definition: it is when someone speaks to people for their strengthening and encouragement
o but it¡¦s more than just human words, or even teaching