Summary: Child Dedication
1 SAMUEL 1:24-28 “GIVE ‘EM BACK TO GOD”
A) Have you ever given your children back to God?
* Some of you are thinking, “I’d like to give them back, but I didn’t think God would take
them back ... I thought He had a no return policy on kids – Besides, I lost the receipt.”
B) The truth is, there’s not a parent here who hasn’t had a few moments or days
when they wouldn’t have liked to package up that kid .......
* And take him or her back to God’s customer service counter and demand, “I want my
C) One man said, “Before I was married, I had 6 theories on raising kids ... Now I
have 6 kids and no theories.”
* One little boy came running in to his Mother and asked, “Mom, what would you like for
your birthday this year?” ... The Mother said, “I would like 3 well-behaved children.”
* The little boy said, “WOW – Then there would be six of us.”
D) Well, I’m not suggesting you return your kids to God and try to get your money
back, when I ask you if you have ever given your children back to God?
* What I am asking is, have you ever really recognized that your children are a precious
gift from God ... And they belong ultimately and always to Him first, not to you.
* Release the ownership of your children to Him, understanding God is responsible for the
way in which they are designed and already knows the plan and purpose for their lives.
E) Today, God is asking every one of us who are parents to bring our children
and put them on the altar.
* “Preacher, did they practice this in the Bible?” ... They sure did.
EXAMPLES OF PARENTS GIVING THEIR CHILDREN BACK TO GOD
A) There are many examples of parents in the Bible who brought their children
to God and gave them back to Him – Let me share some with you .......
* One: 1 Sam. 1:24-27, there is the classic example of Hannah bringing Samuel .......
* The son for whom she had prayed for, and presenting him to God, and handing young
Samuel over to Eli the priest.
B) Two: Zacharias and Elizabeth circumcised the infant John the Baptist and gave
him the name the angel had instructed them to give him – Luke 1:59-63 .......
* This was an act of surrendering that child to the purpose and plan for which God had
C) Three: Of course, you remember Joseph and Mary brought the infant child Jesus
to the Temple following his circumcision at 8 days – Luke 2:21-24 .......
* They brought Him to the Temple to “present Him to the Lord.”
D) But the example of a parent surrendering his child to God that I want us to study
about today is that of Abraham offering Isaac on Mount Moriah.
* So, let’s go back to Genesis 22, and let’s see what God would have to say to us today
about “Giving Your Children Back To God.”
E) I hope before we leave here today, every parent, grandparent and hope-to-be-parent
have something of an Abraham and Isaac experience.
* I hope you have a real encounter with God where you can come, and in a very real way,
give children and grandchildren back to God.
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT ABRAHAM DID
A) He literally, and totally gave Isaac back to God.
* Man, that had to be hard and painful for Abraham ... After all, Abraham loved Isaac.
* v.2 God said, “Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, and sacrifice him.”
B) Isaac had been a miracle baby ... He was born when Sarah was 90 and Abraham
was 100 years of age ... Abraham’s entire life was invested in Isaac.
* Abraham had spent his whole life following God around the deserts of the Middle East
because God had promised to bless him and make him the father of many nations .......
* And by him, all the nations of the earth would be blessed, and all of this was to be
fulfilled through Isaac.
C) Now ... Just try to put yourself in Abraham’s place.
* It was very painful for Abraham to strap his dear son on an altar and a stack of wood,
raise a knife to slash open that boy’s chest and throat .......
* Cremate the body, and sit by as he smelled the stench of the burning flesh of his boy,
and then watch that boy literally disintegrate into a pile of ashes.
D) I don’t know if I would do that ... But in a very real sense, I know I must do that