Summary: This is a Father’s Day Sermon.
Series: Father¡¦s Day 2003
GIVE US MEN
1. There are times as a father that you feel trapped and torn. You don¡¦t know if you are doing what is right for your family. Your job seems to take up more hours. You don¡¦t feel that your family is given enough of your time, but let¡¦s face it; your family needs the income from your job. With what little time you have you feel torn between how to use that time. Do you relax and rest? Do you plan activities with your family? Do you serve God at the church? So much to do with so little time.
2. I heard a story that at times may seem fitting for some of you. A married couple was celebrating their 50th anniversary at their church¡¦s fellowship hall. The wife was smiling, but the husband had tears in his eyes. The wife asked her husband why he was crying. The husband replied; ¡§Fifty years ago today your daddy put a shotgun to my head, and said that if I didn¡¦t marry you, he¡¦d put me in jail for the next 50 years. If I had listened to him, I¡¦d be a free man tomorrow.
3. So how do we become good fathers and followers of Christ? What does it take? What kind of men should we be in order to be good fathers and at the same time honor our Heavenly Father?
Men Of Conviction
1. There are times when things in this world look very dim. We see people who at one time had deep convictions concerning right and wrong have compromised. Jeremiah was facing a similar situation. We see Jeremiah urging the people to find one good man. A man who practiced justice and sought the truth. Jeremiah believed that God would spare the entire city if only one such man could be found. We need fathers who will live lives of conviction and will teach their children the ways of the Lord.
2. There is one who can always help and that is Jesus Christ. Do you follow in the ways of the Lord? Do you know Jesus as your Savior? You must take it to Jesus, as did some fathers we see here in the Bible. How about these fathers?
„« An official whose son was ill came to Jesus in his time of need.
„« A ruler of the synagogue came to Jesus on behalf of his daughter who was at the point of death.
„« Matthew records the story of a father whose child was a helpless epileptic.
3. What did they do for their children? They went to Jesus for their children. Do you pray for your children? Have you taught your children to take their problems to God? We also need¡K
Men Of Compassion
1. We see many men in the Bible that were full of conviction, but also had compassion.
2. Men, Jesus was a stronger man than any of us could ever be, and He was compassionate. It should hurt deep when we, our families, our church, our community; are not living as we should.
3. Put the ¡§macho front¡¨ down for just a moment and show some compassion for others.
Then we also need¡K
Men Who Are Open-Minded
1. Are you one of these people that knows everything already? A real man listens to others and is willing to consider the possibility that there is something they can still learn.