Summary: ❶ The giving of thanks is a habit should be learned ❷ The Results of Giving Thanks ❸ Practice the Thanksgiving Habit
- All of us are creatures of habit, and
each of us has some good habits and some bad habits.
- We are what we are largely because of
the habits that we have developed.
- Some of these habits have been
developed carefully and deliberately.
- Others we have just drifted into and
adopted without deliberation.
- From studying the brain scientists
have found that repeated thoughts actually create physical grooves in the brain.
- When we practice a skill, learn a sport
or study facts, a little trench is carved into our brain tissue.
- This is another reason why it is hard
to break a habit.
- A habit is truly physical.
- One must make a new brain groove to
break a habit.
- Repeated thoughts become not just
brain grooves, but deeds and repeated deeds become concrete routines.
- This natural functioning condition of
the brain helps us to learn in the best-case scenario.
- In a worst-case scenario these
thoughts become ditches of self-doubt, fears, obsessive thoughts, vices, misdeeds and worse. .
- We need to give attention to our
- We talk much about bad habits.
- We first make our habits, and then our
habits make us.
- You are what you are because of the
habits that you have developed.
- Thanksgiving is not easy
> 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (KJV) In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
+ Rom 1:21 - Wicked Do Not Give
+ David Appointed Ministers To Give
> 1 Chron 16:4
+ Hezekiah Appointed Ministers To
> 2 Chron. 31:2
+ ❶ The giving of thanks is a habit should be learned.
Ps 34:1 I will bless the Lord at all times
- We do not become grateful
- We need to ask each other “Where are you thankful in this situation”?
- We acquire the attitude of gratitude
- It’s a conscientious effort .
- If you are ungrateful, it could be that you have never opened your eyes and developed the habit of expressing thanks for things that come to you.
William Law (1686–1761, English clergyman) said, "If anyone would tell you the shortest and surest way to happiness, he must tell you to make it a rule to yourself to thank and praise God for everything that happens to you.
- For it is certain that when whatever seems calamity happens to you, if you thank and praise God for it, you turn it into a blessing." We should look for things for which we can thank God.
+ ❷ The Results of Giving Thanks
- It produces Joy
>1. Brings Joy to the heart of our Father.
> X Zephaniah 3:14 (KJV)Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel; be glad and rejoice with all the heart, O daughter of Jerusalem.17 The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will reste in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.
- Children saying "Dad, I love you" or "Dad, thank you." I believe that something in the heart of God rejoices when we come to Him saying, "Thank you." Most of us go to Him with our hands out.
> 2. Brings joy to others.
> X 2 Timothy 1:3 (KJV) I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day;