Summary: Giving to God is an act of worship and faith in Him
I. Our Giving is to God (vs. 22-23)
A. Giving to God vs. Giving to the church
- When we give to the church we retain some ownership of our giving
- When we give to God we would not dare try to own it any longer
- Giving is a sacred Holy act not an obligation to be fulfilled
B. Giving also affects how we manage the money
II. Our Giving is an act of Worship (vs.19-20)
- (Mat 2:11 And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh.)
- When we look at scripture giving has always been a central part of worship
III. Our Giving is a Celebration (vs. 19-20)
- What kinds of things do we celebrate?
- Usually the things that means most to us (ie, bdays, anniversaries, graduations etc.)
- The Magi celebrated the coming of the Messiah with their giving
- The father of the prodigal son celebrated his return
Our giving of the tithe should be a time of rejoicing and celebration to God as an act of worship.
It should not and does not need to be a time of anxiety.
We should give out of our increase as recognition that God gave it.
We should have faith that God will continue to provide as we have need.